Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

• Thank you received: 57

Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine was created by JustMe

Check this out...Colt 901...a new AR receiver that is covertible between 7.62 and 5.56...
www.gunsamerica.com/blog/colt-901-modula...un-review-le901-16s/
11 years 3 months ago #16061

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

Read some on it. Interesting. Don't know if it would fit my needs, but for some one who wants one platform only to do everything it might work.
11 years 3 months ago #16066

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

Agreed. I was wondering how close the tolerances where and whether it's a sub-MOA rifle in both configurations?
11 years 3 months ago #16073

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

I have the utmost respect for Colt, even though they quit making modern revolvers some years ago, but I have no application for convertible firearms. I realize that the lower is the regulated part, so in theory I could have two rifles on one receiver, but I don't see myself wagging a bag of parts to the range or the camp just for the privilege of disabling my rifle to change calibers. It'd be faster, easier and safer to walk out to the truck and get the other rifle :P .

I doubt it's sub MOA in either configuration. I'm guessing about 2 MOA tops.

Charlie (always wanted a Python)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 3 months ago #16080

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

Other than just being able to go to the range and shoot cheaper ammo, what practical applications would something like this be good for? I don't see any personally and once you've got the 308, what could possibly make you want to drop back to the 223 other than just "being able to show your buddies that you can" kinda thing?

It's cool that they can make stuff like that but I see no real advantage to the application other than just monetary.
11 years 3 months ago #16090

The only thing I can think of is with ammo availability really iffy, it gives you the opportunity to shoot what's available between the two. From a tactical or military standpoint it might make some sense. If your unit has M4's and you run into a target where you need penetration. One member of the unit can switch to 7.62x51 to deal with it.
11 years 3 months ago #16101

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

I honestly don't see that though Sisco. When you are in the field, if you have the chance to carry a 308 carbine or a 5.56 carbine, or both, with mags and ammo for both, or either one or the other, what would you choose? I'd be on that .308 carbine all day without ever looking back.

To be fully capable with the .308 might mean more weight for the same amount of ammo but damn, trying to juggle both is more headache than I'd want to deal with on a bad day and I don't see a time where having LESS gun could be to your advantage when dealing with the same style weapon, same capabilities and simply dropping to a smaller round.

As a squad leader, I would also not wish to burden any of my guys with having to carry an extra upper just in case I THOUGHT there might be a need for him to change calibers. He's either gonna carry one or the other to decrease the bull when it hits the fan...

I definitely agree that it has to be an ammo either availability issue or cost thing but when it comes to a bad situation but having the same SIZED weapon, I'll take the heavier caliber all day and leave the 5.56 for someone else.
11 years 3 months ago #16102

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Cleandean on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

I agree with you "Sharkey". So many specialty guns out there.(because,we can do it) Who knows, when we find the optimum report and situation where this new Colt really shines... IMHO.... there's gon'na be very few instances , when the upper switch will be needed in combat.
11 years 3 months ago #16105

Yeah you guys are right, I was just trying to think why they would come up with it. "Because they can" is probably the best answer. There really is no real reason to do it. In the current market they will sell a bunch if they can manufacture them, but I won't be buying one. I will stick to Armalite.
11 years 3 months ago #16106

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Colt 901 Modular-308-223-carbine

I don't want to get too far off topic, but I think a .22 LR sub-caliber device for the AR-10 would be tres cool. I had an Atchisson MK III (?) for AR-15 at one time, and HK made a conversion kit for my old 91 (but they cost dang near as much as the rifle).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 3 months ago #16112

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!