Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

17 rimfire supermag

• Thank you received: 67

17 rimfire supermag was created by foxhunter

So I am seeing that Winchester in April is releasing their new 17 cal rimfire supermag.
20gr bullet goes at 3000 fps. 400ft lb energy at muzzle.They also will make a 25 gr bullet that goes near 2700 fps.
box of 50 is to be about $15. There is no gun for this yet, but Savage is making a new rifle for it to be released about the same time. $397 srp for the rifle.
Seems like,given that 22 ammo may be nonexistent for the forseeable future, that one could pick up large quantities of this ammo even if you have to wait for the gun, since it is so new and no guns are yet on the market for it. I think it will be a popular round for plinking and small varmits.
11 years 1 month ago #19343

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by waynzwld on topic 17 rimfire supermag

This looks to be THE replacement for the 22 Hornet.
Hornets are finicky and their cost makes them a reload yourself proposition.
Might get one.
11 years 1 month ago #19355

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic 17 rimfire supermag

After seein several 17 HMR rifles blow up,I am worried about the safety of pushing a .17 faster than that.
A rim has to be thin enough to allow it to crush the primer,and that is the weakness in a rimfire.
After this round blew,I pulled several bullets,and weighed the charges.
Trying to duplicate it,I put as much powder as possible in a case as possible.and pushed a bullet in.
And it held fine.
The only thing I can figure with this one was It may have had WAY too much prime in it.
Notice how the case flowed back into the firing pin hole,part way into the ejector groove,and dang near seperated the case head,while blowing out the bottom.
It was fired in a 77-22 converted to 17,and it totally shattered the magazine,and cracked the wood on the right side.
I put the .22 mag barrel back on it,no one is trying to make a cruise missle out of that round.
As far as the .22 hornet goes,BUY ONE! I own 3 of them.
It is a very versitile round.
I load cast bullets with 3 gr.Unique for Quiet shooting @ critters,and squirrels,and can go up to the ballistic tip bullets.
Its main flaw is a thin case neck,uness you chamfer the inside,you can collapse the case,while seatinf the bullet.

(fixed it for ya :wave: Sharkey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Sharkey.
11 years 1 month ago #19395

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by waynzwld on topic 17 rimfire supermag

Got 2 17HMRs, never had a problem with either of them. Usually use Winchester, due to reports of problems others (sometimes) were having with Hornady ammo.

The 17 Supermag is using cases for firing anchors into concrete & steel. These have been around for quite a while (probably longer than the 17HMR) so they should have the bugs worked out. Winchester says the case walls are thicker than the 22 mag & 17HMR.

In talking about the Hornet, many people don't reload, so this would be a good alternative for the hornet.
11 years 1 month ago #19438

Out of curiosity,I went out to my nail/screw bin, and it is full of 17,and .22 Rf plastic boxes with nails screws etc. in them.
I dug out an old [maybe 10 yrs?] .17 HRM box,and looked at the label.and it says 2350 FPS.
The new box the above case came out of says 2550 FPS WTF !
No wonder ,you design guns for 2350,and up the loads another 200 fps ,what does this do to pressure ?
I am surprised there are not a bunch of lawsuits ,after googling .17 HRM guns exploding,In 10 min. I looked up pics of a 1/2 dozen shattered rifles,one had the whole side of the stock blown out.
What is the FPS on your Winchester ammo?
11 years 1 month ago #19480

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 17 rimfire supermag

Maybe this explains why 17HMR is about the only ammo around regularly now. I thought about getting one just so I'd be able to shoot.....that does seem to be a lot of busted up guns. :pinch:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #19482

What I am waiting on,is for one of the manufacturers ,to come out with a Bolt Action SPORTING rifle,for the 5.7 X 28 round.
As far as I know the only guns chambered for it,are the FN plastic semi auto pistol,and the funky looking bullpup carbine,that uses a mag,with a cartridge rotator on the end.
At around 20.00 for 50 rds,It would make a good woodchuck/prarie dog,etc round.
And the last trip to Cabellas,they had several cases of it on the shelf,but no .22 rimfire.
It could be one of those rounds that you COULD reload , but also cheap enough,you would not feel bad about ejecting a case into the grass.
Sako and CZ both have made a small bolt action,that was used for the hornet,and .222,that would be a perfect size to use.
11 years 1 month ago #19654

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!