Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

• Thank you received: 547

Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308 was created by Siscowet

The itch is upon me! Thinking about another 308 Semi Auto. I am not predisposed towards any particular one. I do want my next one to be a carbine, not a full length rifle. My priorities are: 1. Accuracy 2. Balance and handling. 3 Weight. 4. Flexibility. 5. Good human engineering. That is controls and handling are very ergonomic. The last time we did this , The General Purpose rifle thread, the AR10 T carbine seemed to be the choice of most. Now it may have some competition. Any thoughts?
10 years 1 month ago #34281

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

Sisco RRA is running a special on there elite series. I think my next weapon is going to be a AR30 in 416 barrett.
10 years 1 month ago #34283

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

I think what I would do were it me I would have Armalite build one out for you to your spec...
10 years 1 month ago #34285

Replied by Siscowet on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

I am seriously looking at the FN SCAR 17S. Good reviews. Passed SOCOM's small arms testing program with a very high score. And universal good reviews.

10 years 1 month ago #34300

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

Have you done any comparison to the Sig551-A1 (Swiss Kalashnikov)
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #34301

Not really. That is chambered for 5.56, I want 7.62 x 51. The Sig 716 Is 7.62, I have seen mixed reviews. Several of the guys on this forum have them and like them, so it would be a player.
10 years 1 month ago #34302

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

My bad your right on the caliber, now isn't Ruger the new player on the block with the 7.62 round?
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #34307

Yep, the 762 piston design. I have not read any reviews so far.
10 years 1 month ago #34308

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

If Accuracy is #1 your more or less married to a DI gun.

I took a good hard look at all sorts of FALs and the SCAR as alternatives to the AR-10, even built a high quality FAL myself from an FN parts kit and DSA receiver.

FAL, you'll never get the accuracy but weight, balance and ergos are great.

SCAR, for the added cost there are a lot of reliability upgrades you can do to an AR-10, mostly Diamondblack/nitride all metal on metal moving parts (you can even have the bore done) and adding an adjustable gas system.

Nether the SCAR or FAL offer even close to the aftermarket options of the AR-10. This plays a lot into getting the weight, balance, and ergos you want.

Both the FAL and SCAR MAY be more reliable out of the box than a stock AR-10 (in very extreme conditions) and both offer a folding stock.
10 years 1 month ago #34309

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Starting to think about another Semi Auto 308

Well if your opening up to the SCAR H then a HK 417 ought to be on the list of possible rifles. If you want short 7.62 then the KelTec juggernaut is the shortest. Its a lot to think about once the price gets up there. I would rather buy a middle of the road rifle and bring my skill set up to match the rifle ( the rifle is only half or less of the equation) by spending the rest on a few thousand rounds of ammo or some good instruction. With the courses I have seen lately and the round count of them , just the instruction part is expensive.
10 years 1 month ago #34310

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!