Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Air guns

• Thank you received: 67

Air guns was created by foxhunter

So last year I bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL in .177 air gun. For more challenge and quiet shooting, I used it to squirrel hunt and pop starlings trying to nest in the purple martin house (the wife isn't very happy about the holes in that house).But I was disappointed in the lack of consistency compared to a rimfire.
A month ago I bought a Benjamin Marauder in 22 caliber. I put a 4x Weaver scope on it. It shoots a 22 cal pellet up to 1000 fps. It is a PCP gun, so you have to pump it with a hand pump or use a scuba tank to fill it. It has a 10 round rotary clip and is a bolt action. It gives up to 30 fired shots before you need to pump it up again. It is super quiet.
What I like about this gun is that it is as accurate as my rimfire out to 50 yds. I haven t tried shooting further with it because that is my max self imposed range for squirrels or small varmits with my rimfire. I am getting 1-1.5 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yds from the bench with both the forend and butt on a rest.
What I like best though is that I can shoot this gun in the yard any time I want. I have my bench set up on the porch and I can just set up a target and grab the gun and shoot. Last night the wife said dinner was going to take 30 minutes so I got 30 minutes of shooting in, instead of vegetating on the couch watching tv. This airgun is the closest to a firearm that I have experienced and provides great practice when you can't get to the range. And as an added bonus that pump is good exercise. Plus, I am getting to shoot much more. Besides that, 22 ammo is still scarce and this gun will do everything I want my 22 rimfire to do.
8 years 11 months ago #44509

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Air guns

What kind of pellets do you use to get those groups and what do they cost?
I have a buddy that shoots air rifle a bunch, he is spending about 10 cents a pellet to get something that puts out good groups. I was real surprised by the variety of ammo available for pellet rifles these days.
I may just look into one for help convincing the deer that my yard is not prime grazing :mad:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 11 months ago #44510

Replied by foxhunter on topic Air guns

I was surprised. I picked up a box of 500 Crosman Premier hollow Point , 14.3 grain at Walmart for $9.00 . and Barracuda Hunter supreme, 19.09 grain from Pyramid Air for $10 for just 200. Crosman edged out the more expensive one with the best groups, although they were close. I sighted the gun dead on at 35 yds for both pellets. The Crosman did not drop at all at 50 yd.
The heavier 19.09 grains dropped just over an inch at 50 yd. That says alot about how much the heavier pellet slowed. wish I had a crono to measure it. I think I will use the Crosman pellets for squirrels and longer range shooting at birds, and use the heavier bullets for bigger critters. I have not tried any other pellets and I am told you have to go through several to find the right one for the gun. I am also told Pyramid Air sells a variety pack, just for the purpose of finding the right pellet for your gun. I am probably going to do that, but I am happy with these Crossman pellets, and especially that you can get them at discount at Walmart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai
8 years 11 months ago #44522

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Air guns

Now that's one of those new fancy air guns looked at them, but they seemed like a hassle with getting her back up and running after she is out of air, maybe I'm wrong as I have no experience with them.
Now I just got in a new Gamo Silent Cat one pump shoots at 1250fps or so it says and it shoots 1" groops at 35 yrds. and I'm happy with it the only problem is I think I know what the name means as it is just as loud as a .22 short. :rotfl:
I am also shooting the Crossman pellets and happy with what I'm getting for groups. :clap:
:nicethread:
AKAI
8 years 11 months ago #44543

Replied by foxhunter on topic Air guns

The marauder is about as loud as a daisy bb gun. I leave it stored with about 2500 psi and it takes about 25 pumps to get it to 2900 psi. It takes about 20 rounds to go from 2800 to 2500 psi
My Benjamin nitro xl is similar to your Gamo and it too is as loud as a 22 short
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
8 years 11 months ago #44548

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!