Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Remlin 45-70 project (picture heavy)

• Thank you received: 78

Remlin 45-70 project (picture heavy) was created by That_Guy

Went to Walmart with my gramps a few weeks ago to get him a set of scope rings for his hunting trip and I ended up walking out with a Marlin 1895. When I bought it, I knew I would have to fix some things, but I didn't really expect it to be this bad. When I was in the store looking it over, I noticed right off that the rear sight wasn't centered on the barrel and leaned right. But, I knew I was going to replace the sights anyway, so I said what the heck. When I got it home, I started to notice thing after thing that I didn't like, mainly when performing the action job. Rather than send it to Marlin, (which I heard could lead to more problems) I decided to do a custom build. First, let me start with before pictures. Note, the off-center sight was difficult to capture on camera.

Now for the action job.

The factory cast parts were... horrible.

After the action job

Not perfect, but I did my best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
7 years 11 months ago #47386

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by That_Guy on topic Remlin 45-70 project (picture heavy)

The next things I wanted to address was the cross bolt safety, mag tube follower, and sights (Also in this time I called a fellow and ordered a custom stock. More on that in a bit)

After getting the rear sight installed, I ordered a trigger happy kit and got to thinking about the older Marlin's with the gold triggers... But, since my sight was in brass, I decided to go down a less traveled path. A couple weeks of research later and I took a leap into unknown territory and I'm very glad I did.

Before this, I have never done any kind of instructional video and was kinda nervous. But, I couldn't find hardly any videos on this topic and thought I should do it to help out anyone with similar taste. I did manage to stumble through it though with a plethora of "uhs" and "umms"

It turned out pretty good I think, given the fact my buffer is broken and I had only sand paper and rubbing compound to work with. The last thing I need to electroplate is the buttplate on my stock when it gets here.

Speaking of the stock, like I said I had ordered one a couple weeks before this. I managed to stumble on to a website that offered 90% stocks for lever guns in any type wood and grade you could think of. So, a few emails and a phone call later I ordered myself this stock in English walnut.

This image is hidden for guests.

I asked George (stock maker) to make me a stock and matching forearm with similar amounts of mineral streaking as the top stock in the above photo. He gave me an ETA of 2-6 weeks and kindly reminded me that these are not finished and require around 20 or so hours of fit and finish. I am really excited to get it in and start working on it.

Here is his website:

www.treebonecarving.com/

He has some really spectacular stuff on there and it's worth a look.

So, as of now this is what I have. It has been more work than I originally thought it needed, but I do not regret the purchase. The end result is a one of a kind rifle that I put my heart and soul into, and no store or manufacture can give you that. I will update this as I go along. Hope you enjoy.

PS. This rifle got me in the mood to get back into western style weapons, so I ordered this old model Vaquero in .45 colt to go with the rifle (gonna make grips to match the stock).

The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83, Siscowet, bipe215, Keefer
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by That_Guy.
7 years 11 months ago #47387

This message has attachments images.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Remlin 45-70 project (picture heavy)

TG that is a couple of sweet looking firearms. I have thought a number of times about getting a Marlin 45-70, as a friend packed one all over an Aleutian island as the backup rifle for his brothers Grizzly hunt. Ended up using it too! Sorry to hear that initial Quality control was so poor, but I really like the look of the sights and the trigger. And that new stock is killer.
:thumbs: :thumbs:
7 years 11 months ago #47400

Replied by That_Guy on topic Remlin 45-70 project (picture heavy)

Got bored waiting on the stock so I decided to make a complete set. Ordered a bowie knife from Knifekits.com and attached a sambar stag handle. I started making the sheath today. I got it glued, set the snaps, formed, and roughly shaped. Tomorrow I will stich it, finish shaping it, and dye it.

I also picked up my Vaquero. I ordered a gun belt and holster for it, but it will take up to a month to get to me. I'm also gonna start making the grips out of the pictured english walnut to match the stock when it eventually gets here.

And here is the family photo! This really makes me want the stock to get here sooner.

Edit: hmmm for some reason I can't upload my photos from my phone
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by That_Guy.
7 years 11 months ago #47421

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!