Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Buy or build?

• Thank you received: 0

Buy or build? was created by BLKSHEEP

I'm new here and dont know much about AR10 style rifles but I want one bad! What I want to buy or build is a AR10 style sniper rifle, that will shoot 3/4"MOA "GUARANTEED" I've been all over the internet researching and I've learned alot but it's very confussing for a novice. I have looked at lots of differant sites & forums but none really tell me how to build a top notch AR10 style rifle, most have lots of info for how to build an average rifle for the cheapest cost and that's not what i'm looking for. So is there a place I can get info to build what i'm looking for? If not below are rifles that i'm considering buying,I would appreciate y'alls input on these rifles and any others that i'm not aware of...

#1-JP LRP07 www.jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php
#2-LES BAER/Sniper www.lesbaer.com/AR308.html
#3-LaRue OBR www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-ste...-762-rifle-20-barrel
#4-POF P308 www.pof-usa.com/p308/P308-20-MRR-H.htm
#5-LWRC REPR www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx
#6-NOVESKE N621 noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/dis...arch=&since=&status=
#7-F&D FD308 fd-defense.com/fd308
#8-ARMALITE SUPER SASS www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10SB...aa-aea0-49488ec48776
#9-DPMS SASS www.nwatactical.com/dpms-c-68_84.html

1-3 are my favorites unless y'all change my mind,3-9 are in no special order.
Please help this confused newbe!!
12 years 4 months ago #9584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Buy or build?

you've got a good list going, I would add GAP .

I will openly admit the armalite is strong with me. I have armalites sass and can not be happier, but I am considering doing a build with mega MA TEN upper&lower. it's a nice billet setup.

If building your own is something you really want to do, ask away. Plenty of folks here that are happy to help.

My advice for you is to first decide what platform you want to start with. Once you have your upper & lower picked, then choose a truly great trigger such as Geissele, selecting a barrel that will deliver the results you want, and finally investing in quality glass like nightforce, us optics, ior valdada, etc. In addition, you should also decide if you will ever want to mount a suppressor and build accordingly. since your goal is accuracy, I'd stay away from pistons. The end result will be satisfying, more so with loads worked up and tailored to your weapon.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 4 months ago #9585

Replied by BLKSHEEP on topic Re: Buy or build?

Thanks for the info on the GAP 10,I'm not sure what the differance is between it and the POF? I read something about it being DI instead of Gas,I don't know if that's good or bad?
12 years 4 months ago #9590

Replied by BLKSHEEP on topic Re: Buy or build?

Can anyone rate these 10 or at least top 5 rifles on quality parts used and proformance? That would really help in my decision making!! Thanks!!
12 years 4 months ago #9591

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Buy or build?

GAP is a custom shop that builds top tier weapons. I purchased an r700 from them several years ago that I will forever regret selling. My experience with them was excellent. GAP did use armalite, back when it was the game in town, then switched to DPMS for awhile, now it's POF. GAPs reasons for switching may be to keep costs down, or customer demand, I can not say either way. They may still build to order on whatever receiver you want. ultimately, as long as the upper and lower are well made and in spec, it's not going to matter where they come from. accuracy will be all about the quality of the barrel, reliability will rely on the fit and function of the moving parts (to include magazines, armalite gets the point here).

With POF you are getting a mass produced weapon, piston driven which many see as a plus for reliability, and that is all I know about POF personally.

Focusing on accuracy, you want to go toward direct impingement, rather than piston. There was a good slowmo video I'll try to dig up that displayed very well just how much a piston
upsets a barrel. In the video you can see the barrels on weapons like the AK & FAL being flexed downward from the force. equal and opposite reaction, the pressure driving the piston back is pushing the gas block/piston housing forward. Since it is offset above the center line of bore, the resultant is downward force. That does not mean that a piston gun can not be accurate, but even the LWRC (a fine rifle no doubt) is less consistent against comparable DI rifles.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 4 months ago #9592

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!