Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FNAR 308

• Thank you received: 67

FNAR 308 was created by foxhunter

Well I couldn't find a good spot to put this thread, so I stuck it here. I was checking out my local gun store this week and found a new FNAR 308. It was cool so I bought it.The best scope in the store was a 3.5-10x vari-x III Leupold, so I bought it and mounted it on the gun.
It is a new rifle built at FNUSA in North Carolina. It boasts 1/2 MOA accuracy.It operates base on the same design as the Browning BAR. It weighed under 9 lb without the supplied 20 rd mag. I added a bipod and sling.
Weather is supposed to be good on Sunday, so I am going to sight it in and shoot it side by side with may ar-10. I will report how it does.
I paid $1700 for it. I saw on some sights that in November you could get it for $1300. At the same store today a Smith and Wesson M15 that I bought in November for $800 is now $1000. These guns are rising in value faster than gold.
15 years 2 months ago #943

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:FNAR 308

Interesting. They are supposed to have high accuracy. Can't wait to hear the report.
15 years 2 months ago #947

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:FNAR 308

So I took the fnar and my ar-10T out today. I fired from 100 yds. I mainly shot some lower powered federal 150 grain ammo, because I am trying to use it up. I also shot some 150 grain hornady match ammo.
52 degrees, light breeze out of the north and I was shooting into the wind.
I was sitting on a stool shooting from a table , using Harris bipods on both guns. At 100 yds, there was no difference in accuracy between the different types of ammo and I shot both types of ammo in both guns.
I am not an expert marksman. Most of my shooting is hunting or practicing to go hunting.
I found no differnce in accuracy at 100 yards. My best 3 shot group in both guns was 0.8 in. My average 3 shot group was 1.4 inches. I had a few 2 inch groups with both guns, but that was me, not the guns or the ammo.
One big difference was that the FNAR fired all ammo flawlessly. The AR10T does not like low powered ammo and although it throws out the spent shells with the cheap ammo it failed to load most of them. I finally took out the clip and fired it single shot. I had no problems with the AR10 using the better hornady match ammo.
The lighter FNAR has a little more recoil, but it was not bothersome. I had my wife shoot both guns and she preferred the FNAR. She liked the trigger pull on the FNAR better and she thought the difference in recoil was acceptable. I liked the trigger pull as well. It is set at 4 lb and is crisp, with no play in it.
The FNAR I have is the light barreled version and they also have a heavy barreled version, but for an average shooter like me I think the lighter barrel is the way to go. I also had out my model 70 winchester bolt action 300 wm hunting rifle and the FNAR felt lighter. This is a gun I would not hesitate to take hunting and carry all day in the field. I like the fact that with every gun they include 3 different sized cheek pieces and 3 but plates of varying thickness, allowing for a custom fit for the shooter.
I did try to use the AR 10 clip and FNAR clip in the other rife. Neither rifle would accept the other's clip.
Hope some of you find this helpful.
Oh, and one other thing. The AR10 has a $1400 nightforce and the FNAR has a $600 Leupold varix III. I was very surprised at the superior clarity of the nightforce. I had to strain to see the bullet holes in the target with the Leupold, but they were quite plane with the nightforce (both set on 10x)
15 years 2 months ago #954

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:FNAR 308

Thanks for the writeup!
15 years 2 months ago #959

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:FNAR 308

you are welcome
15 years 2 months ago #960

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!