Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

• Thank you received: 529

Army awards SNIPER rifle contract was created by OleCowboy

SOCOM PSR contract awarded to Remington Defense MSR

UPDATE (3/9/2013): SOCOM, Congressman Richard Hannah (R-NY) have confirmed the contract award, and now Remington have all confirmed the award.

Remington issued this statement Friday evening (3/8/2013):

“We’re honored to enter into this contract with the United States Special Operations Command – a contract that will see Precision Sniper Rifles (PSRs) and Precision Ammunition provide accurate target engagement and modular capabilities to our most elite war-fighters. Our workforce is extremely proud to be adding this new rifle to the Remington Defense family, alongside our other combat-proven sniper rifles. We will produce these PSRs with the same diligence, attention to detail and quality that snipers and shooters worldwide expect from Remington.”

Multiple industry sources tell us that Special Operations Command will announce shortly the award of the $79.7 million precision sniper rifle (PSR) system contract to Remington Defense and its MSR chassis-based rifle system.

SOCOM originally put out the contract in 2009 and it’s been a hard-fought, yearslong endeavor that came down to two competitors — Remington Defense’s MSR and Sako’s TRG M10 — with FNH USA’s Ballista rumored to be a competitive downselect.

The award is for 5,150 rifle systems, including AAC Titan QD suppressors and 4,696,800 rounds of Barnes ammunition, over 10 years. An optic for the PSR was previously competed and awarded to Schmidt & Bender for a modified version of their 5-25×56 PMII rifle scope...

.7 MOA average accuracy at 1,000 meters with both Barnes and ATK 300gr .338 Lapua Magnum ammunition!!!

militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2013/0...ed-to-remington-msr/

One MEAN looking MoFo: www.remingtonmilitary.com/en/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/MSR.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 1 month ago #20060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

The Remington MSR was the odds on favorite from the get-go. It's so well laid out it's impossible to NOT like it.

What is surprising is that Barnes got the ammo contract.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #20074

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

I'll take three... What I don't get is do we need $79M in sniper rifles? Lets spend $79 million on killer bees that only sting guys wearing the other uniform :)

Or train flocks of wolves. Air Drop 2-million wolves with body armor and come pick them up when they get hungry.

Sorry for thinking out loud here...
11 years 1 month ago #20087

The M24s currently in use have been shot more times than Fifty Cent and need replacing. Also, the M24 is based on '70s-'80s shooting technology and sniping theory - 1913 rails didn't exist when it was designed, for example. The PSR allows the user to easily configure the rifle to himself and his mission. Supressors are an integral part of sniping these days and the PSR's barrels are built from jump to accept one versus the bull barrel found on the M24.

During the wars, precision semi-autos came into their own, but it didn't do away with the need for a precision bolt gun. The PSR is simply a better tool for the sniper's tool box.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #20103

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

Dump the 400 billion f-35 and keep the PSR. The last two wars have shown we need more well trained and equipped snipers and Designated Marksmen than ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LebbenB
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Siscowet.
11 years 1 month ago #20109

I quite agree. We need a ground-up overhaul in the way the services teach shooting and user maintenance, from the Basic/Boot level up to sniping. The current shooting programs used by the Army and the USMC are adequate at best and reflect a time when most draftees/volunteers entering service had more familiarity with firearms. This is not the case today. The average recruit hasn't touched an actual firearm, let alone used one, outside of a video game. Additional time needs to be given to the subject of shooting. But I suppose it's more important that the new Soldier/Marine be fully trained on the prevention of sexual harrassment. :rolleyes:
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 month ago #20111

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

There you go, talkin smart, makin sense again...dock this man some points he is startin to think outside the box...

As I sit back and see more and more the drift towards high tech and Navy SEAL Team Six as the solutions to winning wars. I ONLY wish it were all true and as easy as all that. The only way to win truly win a war is to do so using man power. Granted there is another way and that is to do so economically, which is being done right now in the US. While it will change our form of govt and enslave many as it has already done, near 60 million citizens live off welfare, don't work and never will there are still many underground warriors who continue the fight for freedom and a resulting underground capitalist economy...as rapidly growing in the US now.

War is horrible, but it also cleanses the system like a forrest fire renews the forrest. War as in WWII brought us forward so far so fast it was unbelievable. He launched world prosperity and freedom. But you can never do that with a handful of SEALs and some guy sitting in his BVD's in some office piloting a drone.
11 years 1 month ago #20118

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

I can tell you are not keeping up with the times...whats IMPORTANT now is understanding Gays and Transgender's, so the military is giving classes on being gay and understanding their needs and how to prevent diseases from exposure to fecal matter entering into the penis. Somehow I find all this alien, especially in light of teaching a class on AIDS Prevention...I got my soldiers together, told them to listen up and I told them about the dangers of AIDS disease, then told them the way to prevent it: "SIT down and keep your mouth CLOSED...you won't get AIDS"

While I cannot say about entry training today as I retired in '94, but I will BET little has changed since I last reviewed the POI and last went thru Basic in 1967. Little has changed since WWII in the way we view entry level training and in fact things only went from bad to worse IMO. After went to the VOLAR Army entry training did little. The thought was the solider would be trained OJT style in his unit of assignment. I was opposed to that then and still am. As you said what is important now is sensitivity training, touchy-feely and soft training...
11 years 1 month ago #20128

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

Hey,.......as an aircraft guy, you guys have no clue as to how old most of the Air Force fleet is.
I worked on Tankers for 20+ years, the newest one was built in 1962!

How many here were even on the planet in '62?

As for the Remington contract........awesome, but I prefer my FN SPR over any Remington.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 1 month ago #20130

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

I agree we need new aircraft. But the J35 is going to be the most expensive weapons program in history, and will have a shorter range than its predecessors if it wants to keep its stealth profile. It would actually be cheaper to buy more F22's. Not arguing the need, just the price for what we are getting. Put that money into new tankers, etc.. It is now generally acknowledged that the effectiveness of stealth technology is declining fairly quickly as counter detection technologies come on board. Spending the money other places and for proven technologies might be a better idea.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Siscowet.
11 years 1 month ago #20135

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!