Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

The B 52 is still in inventory, so is a lot of stuff that dates as far back as Korea war. My 4.2" mortar tubes were dated 1955...can only imagine the stuff that is out there...
11 years 1 month ago #20136

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

I do understand your point,.........the F22 was a huge POS for years!
Software nightmare! It's not all about ONE model, the entire fleet is old.

With budget cuts, tuition assistance cut, we will be damn lucky to have a
Military in a few years! While I believe new rifles are essential, we have
far more taxing issues at hand.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 1 month ago #20138

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

That is the tough part. We can't get everything. Gold Plating weapons systems skyrocket the price. My father helped develop the Bradley FV. The controversy was over giving it the hughes thermosight that the M1 tank had. At the time it cost as much as the rest of the Bradley.
The battle of 73 Easting proved that was a sound investment. But for 400 billion over the life of the contract for F35's? What do we give up and not get? I simply think they need to redraw the mission requirements for this program.
11 years 1 month ago #20142

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

:hijacked: Back to thread: Who wouldn't like to own a single rifle that can be configured to shoot 7.62x51, .300 Winchester Mag, and 338 Lapua in the field? Three rifles in one.
11 years 1 month ago #20144

While on the surface this sounds ideal I think there may be some issues. Every different weapons platform shoots different than others. While this is the same form factor we are now changing calibers and performance all resulting in different shooting characteristics. Going to take a LOT of rds down range to make this feel so natural that one can shoot any caliber on any day and nail it in a one shot one kill model.

Mitigation: Extensive training in swapping calibers in the same engagement and acclimatizing yourself to the differences.

Possible relook the engagement model? In the Artillery we fire a rd down range but not on target in fact the intention is to not be on target. This is my spotter round, then I make an adjustment from there. A good Forward Observer should be one shot one kill from there, meaning one adjustment results in a fire for effect batter of six HE.

I see a scenario where a sniper has not fired the 338 L in a week, he has been shooting 7.62. New AO, new operation and he has to go to the 338 due to longer engagement ranges. This might require the sniper to fire off a few rds to reacclimatize himself...?
11 years 1 month ago #20150

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

This is no different than having three different uppers for your AR-10 or M-15.

M-15
7.62x39
6.8 SPC
.50AE

AR-10
7.62x51
.300 RSAUM

That was the whole reasoning of going to the SASS (SR-25) in 2006.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 month ago #20152

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

I didn't realize the used the M24 for anything more than training these days. It is ancient in terms of a sniper rifle platform. I thought these days they were using rifles like Cheytac
11 years 1 month ago #20154

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

Short story is there is a real douche behind the .408 Cheytac and essentially ripped off a lot of people that did the real work on developing the rifle and cartridge. Then turned against the civy market following, by offering the M200CIV, a rifle deliberately less accurate and prohibitively expensive claiming "no civilian has any business with this level of range and accuracy".

If anyone ever does get the chance to go .408. Look to EDM arms, the originator of the rifle itself and avoid all things cheytac.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, jtallen83
11 years 1 month ago #20158

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Army awards SNIPER rifle contract

Played with the Cheytac back in '04. The scope was AMAZING (Can't remember the brand, unfortunately.) - It came with a PDA that plugged into the scope via a USB port. The shooter put in his range, ammo and weather data then hit "enter." The scope adjusted itself for a Center of Mass shot. Pretty frakking cool. Here's a pic of the round:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #20380

Put you skull cap on, I cannot find that scope with the data you provided, can you remember anything else????
11 years 1 month ago #20387

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!