Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

Common sense at work

• Thank you received: 51

Common sense at work was created by VTIT

OK so this weekend I hung out with a buddy of mine that lives across the river in NH. He was telling me about how the town next to him is handling the school shooting issue.

During school hours, the police department has their office IN THE SCHOOL! To me this is the best thing since chocolate pudding. It gives the school the protection they need and deserve and gives the police an office.

The only downside I see is bringing criminals into the school, but as long as they have their other office to use for that I see no problems at all. Just the fact that they have a presence there should be enough of a deterrent.

What do you think?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by VTIT.
11 years 1 month ago #20185

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Common sense at work

Sounds like a good idea to me. I used to invite the police to the school where I work for a cup of coffee or lunch, just to get them driving through the area. I figure if the police are nearby the 'other' element is going the other way.
11 years 1 month ago #20199

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Common sense at work

Around here they do a pretty good job, were a rural high school and most of the kids drive so ya know what that means :busted: ! They just don't get it that the sheriff like to hassle them or maybe just a game they play kids, sheriff :dual:. Kinda like Cowboys and Indians. 7:30-9:00 11:00-1:00 2:30-4:00 they do make the rounds the only changes in the last 30yrs is now the State Troopers are around every so often.
AKAI
11 years 1 month ago #20210

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Common sense at work

A town in Minnesota is doing the same thing to save money. They use the county jail, so they are setting it up that each school has an office staffed by a policeman, rather than a separate police building. Makes an awful lot of sense.
11 years 1 month ago #20214

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Common sense at work

I think possibly a "detached" substation would work best. Have a secure entrance for the cops to enter the school if they need to but have the rest of it secluded and fenced off so if some jamoke gets away from em, they are directed AWAY from the school kids rather than deeper into the building.

If they moved in that kind of direction, it might be a bit more "school friendly" with a greater potential of moving to other areas.
11 years 1 month ago #20234

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Common sense at work

Always remember... common sense is not always common. :ohmy:
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 month ago #20261

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Common sense at work

In situations like this, I believe you have to work backwards in a sense. You have to think, if you put a police substation in a school, what are ALL the things that every can think of that can go wrong and then start fixing them or making them LESS possible. Some things at a substation would just not be possible which means only certain levels of criminals or whatever would be handled through there and anything within certain boundaries would.

They are supposed to be there to make the children safer and allowing criminals INTO the building, cuffed or not, if there is access or even incidental access to the school and grounds, then this is a poorer situation than I would desire and further steps would need to be taken to ensure this would not be possible..
11 years 1 month ago #20276

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Common sense at work

As a kid my Father was the officer in charge of the night shift in our small town. After spending some time there it was obvious why even in a town of 7,000 people the lobby of the police station had to be set up like a bank teller in a drive through. I saw many people go in there free, law abiding citizen’s and a few short minutes later they were waiting for a bondsman.
I'm all for protecting the kids with official law enforcement but it needs to be their sole focus, no handling Joe blows problems from the street and for sure no criminals allowed.
:twocents:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #20330

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Common sense at work

Look at Co and Ct and their recently passed gun laws, making Hitler proud.

100% of all mass shootings have taken place in gun free zones, its not guns that are the problem its the lack of guns.

People die when they have no way to defend themselves.

At OUR State Captial Congress Building, there are 2 entrances, one for folks who 'carry' one for folks who do not!
11 years 1 month ago #20372

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!