Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

What is forgotten in the hysteria

• Thank you received: 547

What is forgotten in the hysteria was created by Siscowet

The gun homicide rate has been declining for 20 years.
www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-h...peak-public-unaware/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 week ago #23084

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

Maybe more guns = less gun deaths
11 years 1 week ago #23090

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

Add a little training from the NRA and you have a recipe for a safe society! :twothumbs:
I noticed FOX was the only ones to run the story repeatedly, PBS did briefly give the numbers but quickly turned to a Newtown story.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 week ago #23104

Replied by Siscowet on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

The big point is that the homicide rate is caused by something other then the availability of guns. Social or cultural issues are evidently a much bigger driver of the rate of homicides.
11 years 1 week ago #23107

Just heard on the news that in the latest Dpet of Justice study of inmates asking where they got their guns only 4% said they got them at flea markets and gun shows...
11 years 1 week ago #23119

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

This runs parallel to a Micro 251 (med micro) lecture I sat: The incidence of venereal disease is highest by far among the extreme lower class _*AND*_ the extreme upper class. It's easy to see that people who don't have skin (ahem) in the game are less concerned with the consequences of their actions (assuming they are even aware that actions have consequences), but the super-rich seem to think they're immune. So in addition to your ghetto trash you get folks like Michael Jackson (the dancer), Brittany Spears and Phil Spector doing extremely stupid things, while the folks in the middle are too busy worrying about their reputation, their kids, and next payday to wander far off the beaten path.

When concealed carry was first proposed the usual suspects predicted an old west style bloodbath, but since I got my CHP I have found myself being much more careful about getting into non-productive arguments with strangers.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Charlie.
11 years 1 week ago #23166

Replied by Siscowet on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

Exactly!
11 years 1 week ago #23167

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

Thanks! I was afraid that the connection was less than obvious.

Social pathologies cluster on both ends of the social scale. The extreme upper class is small, and their lunacy is more or less self correcting, so if we want to do something positive about violence we need to take a close look at the other end of the scale, and find out why it produces a disproportionate number of violent people.

Bad parenting is the primary cause of failed social integration, and while bad parents cluster on both ends of the scale, the vast majority of illegitimate and neglected children are found in the extreme lower class. This class exists in large part because our "Great Society" (spit!) created it, and its members are now 4th to 6th generation inhabitants with little or no desire to elevate their status. Their achievements in parenting and social integration are abysmal to say the least, and as I see it the most positive thing to do to reduce violence is to disincentivize illegitimacy.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 1 week ago #23200

WOW Charlie you have some great insight...to put it in more simple terms, STOP paying people to not work. Let 'survival of the fittiest prevail" The ONLY people to draw welfare and other benefits are the sick and lame, cut out the lazy...
11 years 6 days ago #23205

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What is forgotten in the hysteria

I would like to believe that we are better than just watching people struggle to be "fit".
The problem as I see it is who is giving the help. As someone who ended up on the public dole through no effort of my own I understand how important some sort of safety net is. They could go a long way in stopping all the fraud by making things more locale. The waste I've seen in these federal mandated programs is shameful. Even the people running the system complain. Charity should all be locale, not gone. As someone who is no longer as "fit" as most I'd like to see a safety net rather than the present safety trap. The idea that you can focus on changing one slice of society that doesn't comply with the rest could go real wrong with the out of control government we have now. using a study to promote societal change reminds me of eugenics. Think hard before you put everyone in a class.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 6 days ago #23209

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!