Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

Went to snopes, couple of things on it but not much of any real value.

I have been following electric/hybrid autos since the late 80's when it came across the news feeds I subscribe to. As a retired engineer, mechanical and computer I may be the easiest guy in the world to convince you have a better mousetrap. Show me the facts...been looking for the facts for 20+ years and the fact is they are NOT there.

I have asked, written and asked or just want someone to show me a FULL LIFE CYCLE COST analysis. Never see it, I have been done them for years, not easy but they take all costs from development to out-year life cycle. I would bet MONEY they have been done and they tell the real story.

As for rebuild the battery: Google it, does not even cost $1400 and most home mechs can do it with min of tools. BUT there ain't no free lunch. Suggest you wait till the warranty is GONE before you go rebuilt battery. The Toyota is a 8 yr, 100k mi battery life cycle. If you want the quality of a battery then you better stick with OEM parts. Want the $850 (found it on Google) batt then you takes your chances is my guess...Every buy El Cheapo flashlight batteries?
10 years 9 months ago #27073

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

If I am doing a tune up on one of My sisters fords, I then use Motorcraft parts. If I am doing a tune up on My GMC, I then use A/C Delco.
Stick with the original equipment brand name parts and, You`ll never go wrong.
OH Yeah, I use only them DuraCell battreez in Mine flashinglight too. :busted:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 9 months ago #27080

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

I forget where this thread began, but anyway, it's just a commuter hybrid car that gets phenomenal mileage. The MPG is so incredible the fuel savings is actually making the monthly payments! Yes, the $$ fuel savings are making the monthly payments for us. It's an '05 with 140K on the clock now, and I'll keep you updated if the batteries go.

If the big battery needed to be replaced we'd go with the guy on the east coast who is well known in the Prius circles. Toyota will probably have come out with an improved/cheaper exchange program by the time we might need one, but all indicators in the car say that's a negative. That leads me to Toyota and why we bought this particular hybrid car in the first place. Unfortunately, it starts with a TV program...

SPEED TV has a series on about behind the scenes stories per car racing in the Le Mans series. I DVR it as I used to race bikes, and am looking at getting into cars. One episode was on the Toyota team (TRD), post tsunami/eathquakes. Absolutely incredible, simply put. Inspiring. If you've ever gone racing a series yourself you understand the ups & downs that occur in a season, and how trying it can be in every facet. Their story is incredible. We are simply along for their ride into technology for better cars, as an owner/sponsor of sorts.

Until solar is better developed for these regenerating stations, for the 100% electric cars, I don't see any benefits whatsoever: using coal or nuke power plants to fuel the cars is no cheaper or greener for the woods. As I stated earlier, having worked in a GM factory for many years, I spoke with NA development engineers and management bosses about GM's future with diesel and electric vehicles: they wanted nothing to do with it, and specifically stated the whole thing was just PR for "the greenies" as they called them. Not sure where their Volt programs are going , but once again I'll be paying for it with the new batch of tax incentives the buyers are being given. Yes, all Government Motors' costs seem to be coming out of OUR pockets in the last 5 years in particular.

Anybody have a GOOD all-electric car ownership experience? (your own solar power re-gen station at home, etc...)
10 years 9 months ago #27205

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

There has been talk of taxing hybrids to make up for the lost revenue from fuel taxes.
Here, the run or is about a 3x increase in yearly registration fees
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 9 months ago #27214

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Reality is setting in on Electric Cars

My dad told me years ago 'son there ain't no free lunch'

On state has mild temps, cooling breezes and no shortage of sunshine. Homeowners went solar like a dog on a bone. Utility revenues plunged so they slapped a tax to make up for the lost bucks, now rates are the same or higher than ever.

This is called a GOTCHA!

Hawaii
10 years 9 months ago #27223

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!