Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

• Thank you received: 529

Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol was created by OleCowboy

Give a call JT, tell'um what you think...

The Army recently released a second draft solicitation on the requirements for its next pistol, a step toward a final request for proposals — one that was scheduled to reach gun-makers in January.

Changes to the requirements for the XM17 Modular Handgun System were made "as a result of industry feedback and [the Defense Department's] decision to allow use of special purpose ammunition," Program Executive Office Soldier officials announced in a Wednesday news release.

The new requirements were not immediately available, but they're likely to change: The draft is designed to allow manufacturers "a final opportunity to review and provide feedback on the Army's refined strategy," the release stated. An industry day, the fourth connected to the handgun project, will be held July 7-8 at New Jersey's Picatinny Arsenal to allow additional feedback.

ARMY TIMES
Army delays handgun solicitation

Officials plan to unveil the final solicitation in 2016,which was scheduled for Jan. 2 of this year but was delayed to accommodate industry feedback. The new draft went out June 8 at FedBizOpps.gov.

If the new schedule holds, three versions will be tested through 2016 and 2017 before a single manufacturer is selected to produce about a half-million handguns, the release says — 280,000 for the Army, 212,000 for other services, and another 7,000 compact versions for soldiers. Full-rate production would begin in 2018.

"The XM17 will provide Warfighters with greater accuracy, target acquisition [and] ergonomic design," Col. Scott Armstrong, program manager for Solder Weapons, said in the release. "The new handgun will also be more reliable, durable and easier to maintain."

Vendors are asked to submit questions on the draft by June 28, according to the FedBizOpps posting.

ARMY TIMES
Army rejects Beretta's pitch for upgraded M9

The M9 Beretta has been the Army's pistol of choice since 1985. Beretta offered an M9A3 variant, with an adjustable handle and accessory rail, among other improvements, as a possible upgrade, but the Army rejected the suggestion.

Army officials have said the new handgun system solicitation will include more than the pistol itself, with changes to ammunition, holsters and accessories under consideration. All calibers will be considered in the competition, which could result in a larger bullet than the current 9mm round.

www.armytimes.com/story/military/tech/20...em-beretta/28871119/
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OleCowboy.
8 years 10 months ago #45284

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

Hmmmmmm...."special purpose ammunition"????? OTM for pistols maybe?
I'm not sure what to think......I like the idea of different weapons for different purposes.
I'm sure no matter what they do they will manage to waste a pile of money! :banghead:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 10 months ago #45285

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

You are right on JT, what it is it will cost a fortune. My bet is when they say 'special purpose ammo" they mean non-lethal...
8 years 10 months ago #45286

Why the hell would the military need anything non-lethal :huh: ........oh yeah.................... mission creep :unsure: ......or at least there is a creep involved. :whistle:
Sure didn't have any non-lethal training during my stint, but then I guess we were Imperialist bastards then.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by jtallen83.
8 years 10 months ago #45287

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

I'm curious to see what it will be.

It's interesting to note that in the last round the Beretta bettered the Sig P226 for cost reasons. Apparently that wasn't a very good reason. I almost got a Beretta 92 because of the contract, but I like my P226 a whole lot better.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Charlie.
8 years 10 months ago #45289

P226 MK25 is my go to pistol now, one easy shooting weapon!

LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 10 months ago #45290

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

Good 'ol MK25! I'd get one if I didn't already have a plain vanilla P226. The anchor on the slide is the cat's meow.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
8 years 10 months ago #45291

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

Sometime in the next 6 months I am going to "pull the trigger" so to speak on either a FNX45 or a Sig P227
8 years 10 months ago #45292

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

Yawn, lost all faith in the powers that be to make a good decision along these lines. Last time it was a CF and next won't be any better. Besides all the tier one units will use what they want (as it should be ).
8 years 10 months ago #45297

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Chicago on topic Army restarts road to replacing M9 pistol

I like the idea of different weapons for different purpose

samsung note 5 handyhülle
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Chicago.
8 years 7 months ago #45767

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!