Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reloading Presses

• Thank you received: 7

Reloading Presses was created by AR260rem

Help! My Lee Challenger press finally broke after 12 years of hard use (my first press). I've been looking to upgrade for a while and never did.

I already have a Horandy LNL AP and a RCBS 50 BMG press and love both, but they have their places.

I'm looking for the utmost in accuracy. I like the Forester Co-Ax but it is on back-order for weeks where I have looked and I really don't want to wait that long. I hate being down!

I'm leaning towards a Redding Big Boss II single stage (I load a lot of 300 RUM). Does anyone have one and what do you think? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Also does anyone use a turret press, and if so what brand and what do you think of it? Is it as durable and accurate as a O frame press?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated!
12 years 2 months ago #10527

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Reloading Presses

For single stage presses, IMO, it begins and ends with the RCBS Rock Crusher. I've owned one now for several years with no issues
RLTW
12 years 2 months ago #10534

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Reloading Presses

I've been wanting a forster co ax for years. With all that it offers in precision of finished rounds, I vote wait it out and get the forster.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 months ago #10535

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Reloading Presses

Absolutely! Wait it out. There's nothing like it for precision reloading.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR260rem
12 years 2 months ago #10553

Replied by AR260rem on topic Re: Reloading Presses

Thanks to everyone! I am going to order a Co-Ax.

Question, do all standard dies work in it?
12 years 2 months ago #10560

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Reloading Presses

Sorry I am late to the Party...
Well were to begin...
First off...did you contact Lee about your Press...they usually will make good on their Equipment or at least give you a 50% trade up value..They have told me that on a few things I have broke...
My Opinion, for what it is worth...If you are accomplishing good rounds with the set up you have...why change it...just get a new one...
As I have learned from a few Friends...Including Z's father....who to me are both
"Professional" reloaders given it is part of their business...and MSH who is no longer with us...Point ...
You can have the most "Expensive" Equipment out there and still not load good enough to hit the Barn...it depends on the Person and their abilities...If you can reload Good and Accurate Ammo with what you have...why try to Re-learn it all over...
Precision is in the Mind set of the person and their ability...not the Equipment...
or at least as I have been taught....
There are "Match" shooters using Lee hand held presses...winning matches...
See my Point...I am not trying to "Argue" about any one Company...Just stating my Opinion...If the Lee Press works for you and you turn out Accurate Ammo..then stick with it...
As far as "Top Grade" ammo...do like I do...buy it... :dry: :whistle: :pinch:
Again..Just my Opinion from a "Novice Re-loader"...
You might check the Vid series I did..for some Insight...

www.ar10t.com/index.php?option=com_kunen...1&id=2927&Itemid=270

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 2 months ago #10569

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Reloading Presses

BMS is of course correct about precision reloading. Many benchresters actually do use the small hand held reloaders, but these are always for their own proven loads. Obviously they're not going to be developing data with those devices.
The very large advantage of the Forster is that die swithching during the process is instantaneous, and that is a huge deal for me.
We have progressives for sure, but I'm right at the edge of a benchrester wannabee :laugh: but it's not practical for the AR10 to be going the whole 9 yards with I/O neck truing. That L/C L/R brass is just too hard to come by, so I stop short of that 9 yards.

The second very important function of the Forster is the primer seating. It begins with a primer pocket Pilot, assuring a dead center alignment for the primers. The seat depth is absolutely controlled and leaves nothing in the hands of the reloader. A complete cycle of the ram seats every primer exactly as it's predecessor, and that (for me) is also a huge deal.

I have a ritual I follow to eliminate any and all case prep variables. That allows me to concentrate on just the load itself. Whatever press you use, concentrate on removing all of the variables in your case prep.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 2 months ago #10570

Replied by AR260rem on topic Re: Reloading Presses

Thank you all for your insight and advice!

zfk, your setup looks like what I inspire to hopefully have one day :)

I would classify myself as a wannabe benchrester/long range shooter, maybe 6 or 7 yards deep, :lol: always chasing the one hole group, .25" or less. My ability in the wind and overall probably limits me as much as my tools, but that's why I reload, so I can try as many possible combos and get as much practice as possible. I enjoy the loading part almost as much as the shooting. I find it fascinating with the endless possibilities. I think I'm addicted! The UPS guy and postman probably hate me with all of the bullets they've delivered. I'm not even sure how many/different 30 cal bullets I have, dozens of boxes I would guess :)

I agree that great equipment doesn't necessarily equal great loads. You get out of it what you put in. I used the Lee Anniversary kit for many years while I was learning to reload. I have upgraded everything over the years and added things I didn't know about when I started (concentricity gauge, neck turning tools, flash hole deburring tools, powder dispenser/scale combo, OAL gauge etc).

I learned recently there is a big difference in dies (possibly shell-holders too, is that too anal?). When I started I figured all were the same. Most are just a machined piece of metal, no moving parts except maybe in the bullet seater. I have several duplicate sets of dies from different manufacturers now, which the concentricity gauge and my shooting results prove the difference. If there is that much difference in dies, what about the press?

I liked the Lee press but sometimes it just is too light/small of a press plus it threw spent primers everywhere (i did fashion a little piece of metal to help with this). There was also a little slop in the ram/linkage, perhaps from hard use? Some nickle plated 300 RUM brass is what finally killed it. I was also swaging some 50 BMG primer pockets with a CH4D setup on it the week before. That might have really did it :silly: I did manage to load 15K+ rounds (375 Rem Ultra-223 Rem and 454 Casull to 380) over the years and make some really fine ammo (.5" at 100yds out of my 700 R5 Milspec 308, .6" out of my 260 AR-10T, .7 from my R-15 VTR, and .75 in the 300 RUM Sendero, factory ammo I've tried in 308/223/300RUM won't do that good, and the price :huh: ). Thinking of a custom 6.5x284 now.

Does that mean I won't use Lee dies or presses to load ammo for a 2" .38 or my 45-70? Of course not, I think they make great stuff for the money and their stuff works pretty good at a fraction of the price of others. Just bought their new hand priming tool and it works great, way better than the RCBS I spent double on. I just figure all tools have their place, just like any other hand or power tool. I've wondered for a while if a great press would give me more out of the guns that are capable of it. Until 2 years ago I never had a target rifle or one that would shoot under 1 MOA, now I'm addicted and always in search of better accuracy.

Thanks for the advice zfk and BMS.

Here is a pic of my setup, I really need another bench :)

12 years 2 months ago #10625

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Reloading Presses

Well first off.. :lol: Nice set up...much like my own...you need some center supports on those shelves on the wall... :whistle: and If I may...go to wally world and pick up a couple of the small 3 shelf book shelves, that would help with your organization..."which is outstanding" :woohoo: by the way...you could fit two side by side I think and clear up some space on your bench...I will try to post a pic of mine to date...here is one of my earlier set ups...

Believe me there is alot more on the shelves now than there was then... :pinch:

As for your press...I would have to agree...messing with anything 50 BMG on the smaller press would most likely Kill it...
that is why Lee makes a 50 cal BMG Press :pinch:
As for loads...well I am still a Novice..lucky if they make it out the end of the barrel... :silly: Not really... :dry:
I personally don't shoot for the "one" hole wonder...I was taught...One Target, One Bullet,..so I can take a Shoot N See Sight In target and punch all 5 diamonds @ 100 yards...Now given my Rifle is limited as far as Range and Accuracy..being a AR-10 "B" A4 CB...with a 16" barrel...400 to 500 yards is the best I can hope for and I do hit the target...unfortunately I am not hitting dead Center with factory ammo...I don't have the time and money it takes to "Develop" loads which is the best for my rifles...I merely make ammo that works..to the best of my ability...As for You being "Annal" :ohmy: ...Nothing wrong with that... ;) I myself am extremely Annal when it comes to making my own Ammo...Pistol or Rifle...so...
I wish you the best of luck...and as I said..I will try to post an Updated Pic of my Bench...
Take care and Target On... B)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
12 years 2 months ago #10628

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: Reloading Presses

I have an rcbs 2000 progressive press and I am not that happy with it.
The plastic strips that the primers go in get caught in the feeder and I have to dismantle the dang thing to get it unstuck. I gave away a perfectly good rockchucker to my brother when I got the progressive reloader and I think I could reload ammo just as fast with it when I consider the time I have to take to fix malfunctions with the primer feeding system. I end up using the press to reload one stage at a time anyway. Before I started using it that way I had ended up with bullets with no primer and even scarier, bullets with no powder, when loading in the progressive mode.
12 years 2 months ago #10647

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!