Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Berger Hybrids anyone?

• Thank you received: 171

Berger Hybrids anyone? was created by 13fcolt

I was following the buzz for a time but lost track. A little snooping on the interweb shows promising results, but I have not found much as it relates to AR.
Plugging the numbers into ballistic software makes it all look really good also.

Has anyone tried these in an AR yet? Can they be loaded mag length and still sit near enough to the lands? also, berger shows the hybrids having higher BC in every weight. are the BC claims accurate? if so, it is the first high BC 168 I've seen.
anybody got a load for 20" barrel?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by 13fcolt. Reason: typoed the title
11 years 5 months ago #12747

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

I just checked out there site. That's gotta be some pricey stuff for my tastes Colt. I'm on a "ultra budget"... :(
11 years 5 months ago #13469

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

you got that right brother.
These are for the kind of shooting I so rarely get to enjoy. I'm going to try a 100 round batch after the holidays and see for myself whats what. Even if these things completely wow me, I'm still small batching it for the 15% of the time I would get to use them. For everything else, there's whatever ball ammo is on sale.
11 years 5 months ago #13488

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

I've seen some preloaded ammo for sale using Berger Hybrids that's "Optimized for semi-autos." So I imagine that it can be done. Don't have any load data on them, though.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13492

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

I'd like to find some decent priced hollow or soft points if you've got any of them on the shelves. We can discuss details in private if you come up with anything for a fella on a budget...

I'm just hoping the zombies to don't effect the take-over until I can find the scratch to get stocked up properly... :)
11 years 5 months ago #13498

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

Gents, if it's the Berger VLD's you're thinking about, forget it. They won't chamber in an AR10. We use Berger 175 VLD's exclusively in our Swiss rifles, but that long nose with the ogive that far back won't work in your magazine.
I was lucky that my Dad bought some 3,000 175gr VLDs back in the 80's when the first started and the prices were still ok. I wish they did work in AR10s. They're an incredible long range projectile.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 4 months ago #13565

You are correct about the VLD's I tried a batch and discovered the issue before firing a shot, forunately I had a bolt action I was able to use them in, still very finicky about seating depth.
that's why these new hybrids are of interest, supposedly using a combined ogive giving the high BC while being very forgiving with seating depth. I'm actually looking at the 168 grain because it gives me a bump in velocity over the 175 smk while claiming to have a higher BC. That is a first for a 168 grain that I have seen.

I still can't find anyone elses seating depth or load data for autoloaders, so I am planing to volunteer myself for testing. $40 for a box of 50 100 I will be making each one count, that is for certain.

bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/01/ber...at-you-need-to-know/
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by 13fcolt. Reason: looking at the wrong bullet price
11 years 4 months ago #13566

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

You could always "bite the bullet" and buy Berger's reloading data.
Looking for just bullets or complete cartridges?
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by LebbenB.
11 years 4 months ago #13572

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Berger Hybrids anyone?

That would interest me 13fcolt.
I have the data for Bergers, but nothing rifle specific. Do we need to take up a collection? I'd be in for $10 just to see the results. If they're available at Graf & Sons, I can get them at dealer cost. Our company is a vendor there. Let me know.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 4 months ago #13573

Graf & Sons carries them but is out of stock, I was passing on them for being priced on the high side, but dealer cost changes things. let me know and I may spring for 2 boxes as that would give me more to experiment with. No donations needed, much appreciate the gesture though.

I've got 3 powders in mind Varget, RL15, and AR-comp. I'm familiar with the varget and RL15, with RL15 being the favored for .308, and was planning on trying the Alliant AR-comp with my next batch anyway. I'll be running win brass and CCI BR primers.

It will be after the first of the year before I get around to this, but I'll be certain to document all of the pertinent conditions and make a spread sheet for the load data. I'll be sure to take pictures and if possible video.

Ohhh geez, sometimes I think I get more excited about experimenting than I do the actual shooting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 4 months ago #13599

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!