Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

• Thank you received: 8

AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning was created by Fausty0

A-lot of us have purchased AR-10's or AR platforms within the last year, and even more specifically, within the last month due to the political agenda. Objectively, we are all a bit strained as far as cash goes, so I am trying cheaper methods to reloading ammo. Personally, I am an DPMS LR-308 owner and reload mainly .308 however, these tricks I am trying should work for all brass!

The first endeavor I attempted was the brass cleaning. Sonic Cleaners w/ cleaning products cost upward of $120.00 and tumblers w/ media are not too expensive however, it depends on what and how much you're cleaning. So, I tried a recent reloading rumor that you can use a washing machine to clean brass and get good results. Instead of typing it all out I just made a quick video.

Youtube Video - Cleaning Brass

Let me know your thoughts and maybe even have an idea that I will tryout.! I am going to try a bunch of different things to try and make it so everyone can have plentiful, quality, cheap ammo and equipment!

Cheers

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 4 months ago #15034

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

Hello Fausty and Welcome :welcome:

You've just hit on a very good topic my friend because we have some SERIOUS reloaders on here that will probably also have quite a bit of input on this topic.

Just for future reference, when starting a topic, try and keep that one thread to one area rather than starting two different threads about the same thing in different areas. To keep things focused, I eliminated one of them rather than splitting responses between them both. :)

Again, welcome and enjoy the site.

Please also check the political forum as there are a number of threads and links that will enable you to add your voice to those of concerned gun owners throughout the country.

Sharkey

PS. I also "inserted" the video into your post. That will add to the likelihood of people watching it. If you need to know how to do it, just PM me and I'll help you out. ;)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 4 months ago #15036

Replied by Fausty0 on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

Absolutely! Thank you for the help!!
11 years 4 months ago #15037

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by zztoplc on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

Heres what I use. Corn cob media,with a cap of NuFinsh blended in. I also put in a cut up used drier sheet. They come out almost as clean as wet tumbling.HTH.
11 years 4 months ago #15068

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

After seeing what ammo prices, if available, have done the last two weeks, reloading is the only future it looks like. I wonder if there is a run on reloading supplies like there is on firearms and ammunition? I would guess yes. When 5.56 goes from $ .35 to $ .99 per round in a week. And 7.62 isn't far behind, nothing left but reloading.
11 years 4 months ago #15072

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

I also prefer dry media and tumbling. I worry about that one left over droplet of moisture in a case.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #15109

Replied by Fausty0 on topic AR-10 / .308 Unconventional Brass Cleaning

I have been worried about moisture content in my brass as well. After I washed them in the washer, I laid them all out close to a space heater and made sure that they were clean and dry before re-priming and so on. I am just thinking that if the two main methods of cleaner were unavailable (Sonic, tumbler) what are some other options out there and how feasible are they.

Since reloading, I feel, is going to be the future of our ammo sources we should find alternative and effective ways to clean brass and make ammo on a budget or with limited resources. This is really what I wanted to start researching.
11 years 4 months ago #15114

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!