Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

want to start reloading in the next few months

• Thank you received: 6

want to start reloading in the next few months was created by Turbo V6 Camaro

hello all

I use to help my grandpa reload when I was a kid, I never did anything with the powder, he alway did that part, I remebmer loading shot shells with BB's and doing the final crimp.

but now I just got my 308 and can tell buying ammo is going to get expensive fast. I was looking at a Hornady auto loader, I know it's recommend to start with a singal die loader but honestly I would rather do one at a time for a while then have to upgrade. basically i have the money to buy the hardware one time.

I know i need brass, bullets - these seem easy while powder and primers seem more involvled.

I am going to get a chrono also as they are not that expensive.

I would want a reloader that can do anything from shot gun to handgun to rifle rounds, if possilbe.
11 years 3 months ago #15864

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic want to start reloading in the next few months

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but because of the size of the shell shotshell reloaders are separate beasts than pistol/rifle reloaders.

You can use a progressive press as a single stage, just do one operation at a time, til you get comfortable with the entire process, particularly bullet seating and seating depth.
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15870

Replied by Turbo V6 Camaro on topic want to start reloading in the next few months

I kinda figure that about the shot shells as i didn't see any listed. That what i plan to do for while untill i get the hang of things. I dont have much brass to play with right now anyway
11 years 3 months ago #15873

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic want to start reloading in the next few months

I do not know of a machine that does shotgun and rifle/pistol. Although MOST presses can handle rifle and pistol, some will not have the capacity for rifle. Shotgun I am almost certain will have to be a separate machine. For a good progressive press Dillon 550B and Hornady LNL are the current front runners in terms of quality and support. RCBS is also a good choice with a great warranty and customer support. If precision is you game, The Forster co-ax press is the bees knees.
There is no need to start with a single stage. While there is more to set up with a progressive press, the loading process is the same and that is the critical part. Really, if you can set up the dies for a single stage, you can do it for a progressive as well. The only thing I'd caution with a progressive it to be extra attentive to the powder check. Nothing fun about dismantling 2 hours of work because of a lapse in attention.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deenerman
11 years 3 months ago #15875

Replied by Turbo V6 Camaro on topic want to start reloading in the next few months

I read on the amazone review you can the powder through expander (though i didn't see one for 308) and the COP so you can check the powder every round.
11 years 3 months ago #15876

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!