Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

.308 Reloading Question (Size and Trim)

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic .308 Reloading Question (Size and Trim)

Welcome Fire Fighter - always good to see another smoke eater around. I've got 35 years and 4 generations of firefighting in my blood so Welcome Aboard.... :welcome:

Don't worry too much about stepping on toes (like VTIT stated) as guys will know what you are talking about very well here and CAN help with just about anything.

Also, if you go to the reloading area found by using the index tab, you'll find a world of info in there and you can also always start your own thread which will centralize the info for you a little better for whatever you DON'T find using searches and just reading.

Also, check our "Articles" section as there are some great reads in there about exactly what you are asking.

Again, Welcome to the forum FF. You've come to the right place and congrats on the new rifle.. :thumbs:
11 years 3 months ago #15971

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic .308 Reloading Question (Size and Trim)

If you've got the coin available, I'd recommend buying a complete reloading set up that'll have everything you need to get started. You'll then need a set of .308 dies - a resizing/de-priming die and bullet seating die at a minimum. Since you're reloading for a semi-automatic rifle I'd also say a crimp die would also be nice to have. You're going to make mistakes early on, it's inevitable, we all go through the same learning curve. To that end, a bullet puller is a must. Many kits come with one, but if the one you select doesn't, you'll want to purchase a puller separately.

Then you'll need cases, bullets, primers and powder.

I use Redding small base re-sizing dies for .223 and .308 and haven't had a problem with them. Other reputable reloading supply companies are Lee, Hornady, RBCS, and Dillon. VTIT mentioned Sinclair's and that's a great one-stop shop for reloading gear. Midwayusa also has a pretty complete line-up of reloading equipment and materials too.
VTIT, you're one of the first people I've met that likes Lee sizing lube. I've never had any luck with it - I always get dented case shoulders when I use it.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: mis-spellings
11 years 3 months ago #15972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!