Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

reloading manual

• Thank you received: 67

reloading manual was created by foxhunter

The last couple of evenings I have been going through my Speers reloading manual. I had forgotten the wealth of information on ballistics, reloading for AR's, etc contained in the manual. I highly recommend the manual for even those who do not reload as it will greatly expand your knowledge of ammo, and ballastics
First, after reading the ballistics data, their discussion on the effects of wind, both vertical and horizontal as it relates to muzzle velocity and the bullet's ballistic coefficient, the effects on burn rate of the powder depending on altitude, temperature, etc. , I decided, "This is why I am never going to shoot at an animal more than 300 yds if I want a clean kill." It also gives me much more appreciation for you guys shooting with MOA accuracy out past 400 yds.
Second, I had forgotten the point the manual made that the action of the bullet being thrown into the chamber in an AR is essentially the same action and force we use to unseat a bullet with a bullet puller. Sierra found that the bullets in factory ammo will move out from the brass case as much as .003 to .007 inches, hince the need for crimping.
I don't crimp, and I have not had a bullet come apart in my gun, so so far so good.But it gives me something else to worry/think about
Anyway, good book and good reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
11 years 2 months ago #16605

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic reloading manual

Thank you and I suggest ALL heed his advice, if nothing else just reading the post is valuable.

Over the years I have been involved with guns, which is since I was 5 and got my first I have found there are more self appointed experts in the gun field that in anything I have ever encountered. In the field of ballistics there are clearly 2 schools of thought:

1) The extremely rare ballistics table reader that uses the charts, tables and other tools available to match bullets to game or targets, terrain etc. They are easy to spot as they will discuss using xx bullet, weight, design etc to apply in the upcoming hunt. You often hear from them things like 'one shot one kill'.

2) Then there are the real experts. They like to brag about hunting bear with their .22 and killing 9 of them so far (yes I was told that), or the 1000 yd kills they do on a regular basis. They buy what ever ammo is on sale and brush off the corrosion when they get home, they are the real experts and if you don't believe that, then just ask them.

Speaking of tools: I LOVE this. I call it the fool maker. I have used it many times and make a lot of folks fools...

ballisticscalculator.winchester.com

Thanks for your insight...
11 years 2 months ago #16610

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic reloading manual

I have heard their manual included a section on AR reloading...guess I always just relied on MSH's and Zfk's input...might have to get it for the heck of it...One can never have enough input on Reloading...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 2 months ago #16611

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!