Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

OAL Problem

• Thank you received: 25

OAL Problem was created by bipe215

I have been loading 168 gr SMK at 2.80 oal in my new AR10T. I just got a Hornady oal gauge and found out that at 2.80 I'm still .074 off the lands. I have determined that I can go out to 2.855 and still fit in the Armalite mag. Of course I'm still about .020 off the lands at that length. Does anyone else have experience reloading for a 'long throat' AR10?
I should add that my friend 'Keifer T' on this forum, has the same gun just a few serial numbers from mine (we bought them the same day) and he is just
.020 off the lands at 2.80 oal with the same load.

Steve
11 years 2 months ago #16823

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic OAL Problem

I am no expert, so probably no help on this. I only try to get on the lands with my bolt guns, but I don't target shoot except on my own range. Given that the bullet will likely move forward out of the case up to .007inches or more when the bolt slams the bullet forward in an AR, I am more concerned with keeping the bullet in the case than having it fit in the lands, so I keep my bullet length at 2.81 for all my AR's.
11 years 2 months ago #16839

Replied by bipe215 on topic OAL Problem

I think if I do seat some on out closer to the lands I'll probably use a light crimp. Hornady also has a spire point with an odd ogive that is closer to the tip that might help alot. The problem will be finding them.

Steve
11 years 2 months ago #16840

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic OAL Problem

By going with a lighter crimp on a semi-auto, you run the risk of bullet setback as the cartridge gets jostled in the magazine and as it feeds into the chamber.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #16845

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic OAL Problem

Truth.
There is also the likelihood of knocking the bullets out of coaxial alignment, sending them down the barrel slightly skewed off center, hosing your groups.
Neck tension is one of those things that must be experimented with to get just right for accuracy. For practice fodder, a good solid factory crimp will suffice.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #16848

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic OAL Problem

I guess I am not that worried about all that with my loads...
I full length re-size, trim, measure...around 2" and set my bullets accordingly..usually just under 2.8..by a .001 or so..then Crimp..light.
Haven't had any issues..but with the winchester brass...I only load them 3 times and discard them...
I think someone needs to contact Zfk and get him in here...He is the Reloading Expert...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 2 months ago #16876

Replied by bipe215 on topic OAL Problem

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that there would be that much difference in factory chambers. Though it wouldn't be any fun if everything was identical and one load was perfect for all.

Steve
11 years 2 months ago #16878

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by wvfalcon on topic OAL Problem

Glad I got on here and review the above comments. I have for years loaded all kinds of ammo but just now attempting to load for my LAR-8. I had planed to load @ 2.800" with a 168gr SMK but now intrigued on how far the lands are ahead of the throat. Limited to magazine constraints there should not be to much effort to find the COAL. Interesting points on crimping. Thanks all.
11 years 1 month ago #18702

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!