Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Decapping Military Brass

• Thank you received: 556

Decapping Military Brass was created by jtallen83

I'll start with a kudo's for Lee Precision customer service. I broke my first decapper Thursday night and there was a new one in my mailbox this afternoon,all I did was email, I haven't even mailed the broken one yet like they ask. Problem is I broke it again right away :banghead:
In a stroke of genius I decided to actually look inside the case.......there is no hole in the center but two small holes just off center. The lee decapper for military brass does not work on FN, Radway, or Pakistani(not that the Pakastani stuff looks worth reloading). I guess if I want to use them I'll have to try the water and hammer system, anybody have any experience with that? Is there another option for decapping military brass I'm not aware of?
I take it there must be some military brass that uses a center hole for the primer? I assumed they all did :naughty:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18120

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Decapping Military Brass

L have some OFV 7.62 brass from India, Circa 1975. The plant was set up by Winchester, and the brass is center holed with a very consistent weight case to case. Apparently in the 1990's OFV ammo went to crap, but reloaders actually like the 1970's stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 month ago #18136

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Decapping Military Brass

Cool! I'm sitting on a bandoleer of just that! I wasn't real sure about the dates so I've just left it in the ammo can for SHTF stock. Now I'll move it to the front of the line and make sure I don't loose the brass.
I went and ordered the "hydraulic" remover;www.ebay.com/itm/350734117664?ssPageName...id=p3984.m1439.l2649
I'll report back on how it works. Sounds like it may be a little messy, maybe an outside project. It is the only thing I found that wasn't centered around a center pin. I thought I saw a claw style device once but can't find it now, odds are it would be way more money than the water thing anyway.
thanks for the tip! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 1 month ago #18140

It is turning out difficult to source the right primers for this "very efficient" berdan system. Should have got them before I started but now I'm stuck working it out. :banghead:
If anybody has a lead on Berdan primers for 7.62x51 I'm on the hunt!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18155

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Decapping Military Brass

Dang, sorry I missed this JT. It sounds like you are into some berdan primed brass. This stuff is considered to be non reloadable. The first reason you have already discovered is getting the old primer out. The second reason is that berdan primers don't have an anvil like boxer primers do, the anvil for berdan primed brass is in the brass itself. It sticks up in the center of the primer pocket, like a little firing pin and this is what the primer gets crushed against.

Loading standard boxer primers is dangerous. SOME brass can be converted if you want to go through the hassle.
do a search on converting berdan brass to boxer. I think there are a few videos out there as well.
and send back that hydraulic thing, just poke a hole in the DEAD primer and pry it out.

I stole this pic from somewhere else

ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by 13fcolt.
11 years 1 month ago #18157

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

I've read some of the conversion info and decided not to, for now. Tula has made the correct primers recently and I guess they are available overseas and have been here. Rumor says there are boxes around you just have to search the gun shows and shops. This is if I get the pocket cleaned right. If I can swage it to the regular size then maybe conversion would be ok......I like the idea of just using the correct primer the brass is made for though.
One thing for sure, it will add some challenge!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18161

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Decapping Military Brass

I'll look at my LGS tomorrow (closed today) and see if she has any. She used to but I don't know if she let them run out of stock or....

I'll let you know.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by VTIT.
11 years 1 month ago #18167

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Decapping Military Brass

I will say I have never been a hand loader, but have had lots of friends who do. That said this is as close as I have ever followed the process and if I ever had any thoughts of hand loading after following this thread I have given them all up...this is definitely above my pay grade.
11 years 1 month ago #18168

Between the times and a bit of a stubborn streak on my part it just seems difficult. It is normally a pretty relaxing hobby, at least that is how I remember it. Being disabled and without work I need some challenges that will occupy my mind and reloading is doing that! Odds are WHEN I find steady work it will all end up back in a box but it will be nice to know I can feed my own.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18169

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Decapping Military Brass

:twothumbs:
11 years 1 month ago #18181

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!