Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by joetahoe on topic Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

MJ,$20 more !!!! I guess I'll also be using whatever powder I have on hand ... Joe
11 years 1 month ago #19377

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

I have a DPMS LR 308
After testing 5 different bullet weights,and 3 iffferent powders
I found the most accurate in MY .308 was;
42.0 gr 4064 behind a 168 gr. Match HPBT

AThe next best , 4895 gave me a 1/4 in larger group @ 100 yds.

I bought some Nosler 168 gr.Match HPBT ,and when prarie dog hunting last year,the guys with me told me my shots were going way off past 700 yds.
So I got behind the spotting scope,had a friend shoot,and watched the swirl,and the Nosler,for some reason,when it gets to around 700 yds,the bullet would all at once veer up/down,or sideways.Under 700 it was OK.
I allways,put out 36''long 1/4 dia rods,with app.20 in.of orange surveyors tape on them,for wind flags/yard markers,and set them out with a range finder.
I watched the 700 + yd wind flags,and there was not enough wind to lift the tape.
The Sierra bullets followed a straight line,with only drop to worry about.
So I used the Noslers for < 600 yds,and the sierras for 700+
My best shot so far,Is 735 yds. I had to walk the shots up,till I hit it.
At the time,I had not shot the rifle past 500,and I would fire a shot,and adjust the scope. 14 rounds later I finally zoroed!
I took a 2nd shot at the same mound,and one friend says I hit,and the other says I missed. Unlike the AR15,the recoil is enough,I cannot see my hits in the scope.
I wanted to try to use some pulled 147 gr bullets [FMJ Military]
For practice rounds,and shot up over 200 of the 1000 trying to find a load,and they shot terrible. I use them up in my BRNO
.308 Mauser bolt action.
Any one here find a load for surplus bullets?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 month ago #19393

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

I too have had issues with Nosler bullets. I bought a box of 500 69gr OTM bullets and they were so inconsistent with regard to weight, concentricity, and length that they were only good for plinking ammo. Anything past 300m, and it was a crapshoot as to what the bullet was going to do.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by LebbenB.
11 years 1 month ago #19407

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

et mwrong about accuracy at shorter range.
Before loading,I spot checked about 75-100 out of a 500 rd box,and the OAL ,dia,and weights were consistant.
Accuracy is 1.25 @ 200
But examining them next to each other,[Sierra,& Nosler],the ogives are different,and where the ogive going from the straight part of the bulletto to the ogive,start in a different spot.
Loading Sierra first,and then switching to the Noslers,the noslers were so different,that they would not fit in my promags,were way too long.
But watching the swirl,it as a friend described it,The bullets were richocheting off an invisable alien.
I have never seen bullets do that.[go straight,and then change course]on a day with ''no'' wind.
Some of them,would make a turn as much as 3 foot,before impact.
I had the spotting scope set up over his left shoulder,as close to the center of the bore as possible.
We were up in the ''mountains''and shooting slightly downhill
We were up app.50 foot above the pasture,but that would not account for it.
11 years 1 month ago #19424

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Reloads for my DPMS CAL. 308

Sounds like they are not handling the subsonic transition very well. Wish I had somewhere with enough range to observe that myself.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #19426

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!