Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

How clean?

• Thank you received: 547

How clean? was created by Siscowet

When I used to reload, I was always more concerned with the inside of the case, taking a bottle brush and rubbing alchohol to clean the inside, and letting stand for a month to dry out, and other than getting the grit and residual case lube off, I didnt care how polished the outside was, as long as it cycled the action. Now I picked up a vibrating cleaner with some corn cob media, and I was curious how long to clean the brass? After 2 hours it looks very good. Any reason to do longer?
10 years 11 months ago #23083

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic How clean?

I'm seeing different times for different brands to get the inside nice and clean. Anywhere from 2-4 hours does it for me.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 11 months ago #23085

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic How clean?

One to two hours, depending on how grody the cases are.
RLTW
10 years 11 months ago #23087

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic How clean?

Thanks guys, after two hours I ran a pin through the primer holes to get any residual corn cob out, and measured them after case trimming. Everyone was 2.006 in. Hopefully get a chance tomorrow to calibrate the scale and powder measure, and adjust the bullet seating/ crimping die. Using Lake City LR brass, so I am going to start off conservative on powder. Might use the H4895 on this batch rather than the Reloader 15.
10 years 11 months ago #23088

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Scorobe2916 on topic How clean?

Little late to the conversation but, I've been using stainless media for the last couple of years and love the results, no corn Cobb powder all over things , no primer pockets to clean out and the insides of my cases are spotless , carbon build up on the inside of your cases isn't removed very well by corn Cobb media. And only takes 30 mins tops
My 2 cents
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Scorobe2916. Reason: Forgot to add info
10 years 8 months ago #27565

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Where do you pick it up at, how much is it and how long does it last before you have to change it out?
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #27574

Midway, Sinclair, I even saw it on amazon, it's 44$, the best part is you never need to replace it, you might lose a pellet here or there but not enough to make a difference, so while 44 seams expensive, you could go through a lot of corn Cobb in that time. For me, the thing I really like about it is it cleans the primer pockets and you don't have to dig media out of primer pocket like with corn or walnut media.
www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tips/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
10 years 8 months ago #27602

Good copy, Thanks!
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #27603

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic How clean?

Glad I read the link above before I ordered the SS media, I have the vibratory type so it wouldn't have worked for me.

I have a bag of ceramic media that came with a bullet coating kit, anybody ever use the ceramic media to clean their brass?
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 8 months ago #27622

Well here's a funny thing that happened to me which in my opinion proves it the detergent you put in and not the media. I was going to clean some of my BMG brass and added the media softener and detergent to my hot water and got distracted on a call when I came back an hour later and to my surprise the brass was pretty clean, not as clean as if I had run it in the tumbler for 20-30 min but close. I started with just a harbor freight special tumbler and it'll hold 50 .308 cases (with just their little tumbler) Once Ina while they go on sale for 20$. www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

Big rotary tumblers are spendy www.midwayusa.com/product/426185/thumler...ase-tumbler-110-volt
I saved for mine
10 years 8 months ago #27633

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!