Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

308 O.A.L. info , Please ?

• Thank you received: 1

308 O.A.L. info , Please ? was created by bodenspop9

If any of You have a armalite ar/10t with 16 inch barrel, 762/51. And owen a hornady LnL O.A.L. gauge. That lets You Measure the bullets free travel. Please let Me know what Your free space is. I have checked My rifle Yesterday after getting My tool in mail, with a 168gr. S.M.K. and come up with a tenth of an inch. This seams like a lot to Me. ?? But I have tested a few times, Comes up the same . As a 308 has a max O.A.L. of 2.810. This means a O.A.L. of 2.910 would fit My chamber. NO, I would never load near that #,And anything over 2.825 may not fit the clip. Just sounds like a big bullet Jump to Me. ?? Any of You hand loaders please weigh in with Your thoughts. Thanks.
10 years 10 months ago #24981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 308 O.A.L. info , Please ?

I just put it out of my mind when I decided on an AR-10. It made it simple for me, 2.80 overall length, period. After the great accuracy I've gotten from my rifle I'm beggining to question just how much this "free bore" matters.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodenspop9, 10-76
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 10 months ago #24985

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by bodenspop9 on topic 308 O.A.L. info , Please ?

Thanks for the input , Jtallen83. I'm not killing My brain over this, Just wondering if this amount of free bore is normal for these rifles. I have been going with 2.825. Been working well. That's about max for fitting the mag.
10 years 10 months ago #24992

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic 308 O.A.L. info , Please ?

Anything under .10 freebore seems to be noticeably more accurate.

210gn Burger VLD hunting bullets have about .085 freebore in my AR-10TU when loaded to max length for the mags.

COL for the 300 RSAUM and 308 are the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodenspop9
10 years 10 months ago #24995

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic 308 O.A.L. info , Please ?

In a standard 7.62x51mm chamber, that's actually comparatively tight. Match chambers usually have less leade, but tight tolerances can become problematic in a semi-auto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodenspop9
10 years 10 months ago #25000

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!