Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

You are not gonna like this!!!

• Thank you received: 529

You are not gonna like this!!! was created by OleCowboy

May 3, 2013
Powder Attack: The Next Wave of Gun Regulation

by Woody

Because language of the Lautenberg bill isn’t official, it’s possible that all types of powders and ammunition propellants could be affected.
Senator Harry Reid has introduced a new bill, S.792, that the majority leader (D-NV) has labeled as “A bill to strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials.” In short, the measure would require background checks for anyone purchasing “explosive materials” or “powders” commonly used to manufacture ammunition and fireworks, according to The Hill.
The pretext for the bill is the Boston bombings, which S.792’s co-sponsor Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) “shows that background checks are needed for explosive materials.”

cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=43072

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 792
To strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

April 23, 2013

Mr. REID (for Mr. LAUTENBERG) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Explosive Materials Background Check Act’.

SEC. 2. EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS BACKGROUND CHECKS.
(a) Amendments to Title 18- Chapter 40 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in section 841--

(A) in subsection (d), by inserting ‘smokeless powder and black powder substitutes,’ after ‘black powder,’; and

(B) in subsection (h), by striking ‘the business of’;

(2) in section 842--

(A) in subsection (d)--

(i) in paragraph (9), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and

(ii) inserting at the end the following:

‘(10) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that--

‘(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and

‘(B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

‘(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

‘(11) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; or

‘(12) has received actual notice of the Attorney General’s determination made pursuant to subsection (d)(1)(B) or (j) of section 843 of this title.’; and

(B) in subsection (i)--

(i) in paragraph (7), by inserting a semicolon after ‘person’;

(ii) inserting at the end the following:

‘(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that--

‘(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and

‘(B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

‘(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

‘(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; or

‘(10) has received actual notice of the Attorney General’s determination made pursuant to subsection (d)(1)(B) or (j) of section 843 of this title.’;

(3) in section 843--

(A) in subsection (b)--

(i) by striking ‘Upon’ and inserting ‘Except as provided in subsection (j), upon’;

(ii) in paragraph (6), by striking ‘and’ after the semicolon;

(iii) in paragraph (7), by striking the period and inserting ‘; and’; and

(iv) by inserting at the end the following:

‘(8) in the case of a limited permit holder, the applicant certifies the permit will only be used to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, and smokeless powder in which case the limitation in paragraph (7) shall not apply.’;

(B) in subsection (d)--

(i) by inserting ‘(1)’ after ‘(d)’;

(ii) by striking ‘if in the opinion’ and inserting the following: ‘if--

‘(A) in the opinion’; and

(iii) by striking ‘. The Secretary’s action’ and inserting the following: ‘; or

‘(B) the Attorney General determines that the licensee or holder (or any responsible person or employee possessor thereof) is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support or resources for terrorism, and that the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the person may use explosives in connection with terrorism.

‘(2) The Attorney General’s action’; and

(C) in subsection (e)--

(i) in paragraph (1), by inserting after the first sentence the following: ‘However, if the denial or revocation is based upon an Attorney General determination under subsection (j) or (d)(1)(B), any information which the Attorney General relied on for this determination may be withheld from the petitioner if the Attorney General determines that disclosure of the information would likely compromise national security.’; and

(ii) in paragraph (2), by adding at the end the following: ‘In responding to any petition for review of a denial or revocation based upon an Attorney General determination under subsection (j) or (d)(1)(B), the United States may submit, and the court may rely upon, summaries or redacted versions of documents containing information the disclosure of which the Attorney General has determined would likely compromise national security.’;

(D) in subsection (h)(2)--

(i) in subparagraph (A), by inserting ‘or in subsection (j) of this section (on grounds of terrorism)’ after ‘section 842(i)’; and

(ii) in subparagraph (B)--

(I) in the matter preceding clause (i), by inserting ‘or in subsection (j) of this section,’ after ‘section 842(i),’; and

(II) in clause (ii), by inserting ‘, except that any information that the Attorney General relied on for a determination pursuant to subsection (j) may be withheld if the Attorney General concludes that disclosure of the information would likely compromise national security’ after ‘determination’ ; and

(E) by inserting at the end the following:

‘(j) Attorney General Discretionary Denial of Federal Explosives Licenses and Permits- The Attorney General may deny the issuance of a permit or license to an applicant if the Attorney General determines that the applicant or a responsible person or employee possessor thereof is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation of, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support or resources for terrorism, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the person may use explosives in connection with terrorism.’; and

(4) in section 845(a)--

(A) in paragraph (4), by inserting after ‘and components thereof’ the following: ‘, except for smokeless powder and black powder substitutes’; and

(B) in paragraph (5), by striking ‘black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty pounds,’.

(b) Guidelines-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Attorney General shall issue guidelines describing the circumstances under which the Attorney General will exercise the authority and make determinations under subsections (d)(1)(B) and (j) of section 843 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by this Act.

(2) CONTENTS- The guidelines issued under paragraph (1) shall--

(A) provide accountability and a basis for monitoring to ensure that the intended goals for, and expected results of, the grant of authority under subsections (d)(1)(B) and (j) of section 843 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by this Act, are being achieved; and

(B) ensure that terrorist watch list records are used in a manner that safeguards privacy and civil liberties protections, in accordance with requirements outlines in Homeland Security Presidential Directive 11 (dated August 27, 2004).
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 10 months ago #26136

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

Nonsensical bull like this is exactly why there will be a revolt. No normal person would want to read this, let alone understand it. They can write all they want, enforcement is another matter.
They can have my powder when they pry my cold dead fingers from it! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #26137

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

Right on JT

Makes me want to take up reloading :dual:
10 years 10 months ago #26139

We all love are reloader 15 and varget but do they really think we won't figure out how to make something that will get the job done?
They will have to ban 2/3 of the chemicals on the market.
Do they they think people will tolerate it when they realize this means no sparklers or snakes on the 4th of July?
I wonder just how many of these politicians would pass an honest psychological exam??????
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #26144

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

Saw this coming a while back........
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 10 months ago #26145

If you're not going to reload save me your brass!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #26147

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Archangel on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

So, I found the old world method of making black powder, but how about making smokeless gun powder?

And what about modern primers?
Can we break them down and use strike anywhere match heads or brew up some fulminate of mercury like cap locks use?
10 years 10 months ago #26352

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

Primers

What you have to do is push out the used primer, remove the anvil and set it aside. Take a flat tipped punch or flattened nail tip and gently tap out the dent until flat. Then get a box of strike anywhere matches and a razor blade and just cut off the white tip. 2 to 3 heads will make enuf for a primer. Just gently crush it up and then put it in the primer cup and replace the anvil as it came out. Use a primer tool to reseat it in the shell and try it out.

Modern gunpowder

Modern gunpowder is based on nitrocellulose, with a high nitrogen content. Handling nitrocellulose is a job for experts. In the dry, unglazed, unstabilized form, nitrocellulose is one of the most sensitive and erratic compounds on the planet -- extremely dangerous. There is at present only one plant in the U.S. that makes weapons-grade nitrocellulose.

It requires specialized equipment and lots of expertise. The basic raw ingredients are wood pulp or cotton linterrs, sulphuric acid and nitric acid. The hard part is the processing -- and that requires a lot more than laboratory equipment.

Really the only thing holding a person back is the nitric acid witch can be made from sulphuric acid and salt peter KNO3, and distilling the nitric acid from it.

Once you have nitric acid there are many explosives you can make.

Do a google search, read up on the subject etc.

IMHO

I got a nice Lyman Planes .54 flintlock and everything I need to make my own powder and ball for it. If I have a camp fire and raw material I can make everything I need.
10 years 10 months ago #26353

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Archangel on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

I have never reloaded brass cases.
I have owned muzzle loader rifles, pistols, caplock revolvers as well as modern firearms and know of the "unexpected pyrotechnic disassembly" issues with using gun powder in a muzzle loader (not personally).
What about a black powder charge in a modern cartridge gun?
Semi auto or bolt/lever action?

There were "Buffalo guns" that were common back in the day using black powder in a brass case.

Any thoughts on that?
10 years 10 months ago #26356

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by bodenspop9 on topic You are not gonna like this!!!

I am from N.J. & as I really do not normally speak like this > I am thankful Lautenberg is no longer on Earth. He has been the worst attacker of the 2nd A. in this state for so many years now. The Day He passed , I was in a local Gun store, I told the Guys at the counter, They broke out in cheering. That is NO Lie !
10 years 9 months ago #26720

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!