Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Recipe with no primer listed

• Thank you received: 2

Recipe with no primer listed was created by super8mm

I am just beginning to get into reloading and I will have some questions.

Here is my first one. For beginning I thought of using IMR 8208 and it has some good reviews and then Serra bullets.

Hodgdon’s web site has 4 different loads using this combination and was thinking of doing about 50 each to have on hand for starters. They are a plinking round, varmint , large game and target rounds

The one thing missing from the charts are what primers to use. Is there a guideline if no primer is listed like using any standard large rifle primer?

Thanks
10 years 8 months ago #27796

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Recipe with no primer listed

That is what I have done in the past, when no specific primer is listed anywhere then I use the standard large rifle primer I have available. Of late I have had to substitute magnum primers so when working up these loads I knocked off 10% on the powder, this is being conservative. Looking at posts on different reloading sites many claim one brand primer to be hotter than the other, I load for accuracy and not speed so I just start working up from the minimum till I find that tight group for my rifle. So far the Hodgdon info has always functioned in my AR-10 from the minimum. With reloading components being in short supply I've had to work with lots of new combinations but no issues so far.... :pray:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 8 months ago #27800

Replied by super8mm on topic Recipe with no primer listed

I saw some CCI primers yesterday, they even had two bags of .308 brass
10 years 8 months ago #27802

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Recipe with no primer listed

Welcome to the hobby within the hobby.

Primers. Primers come in three varieties within a given size range.

Standard primers are good GP primers that can be used for most loads.

Magnum primers are used primarily for magnum loads and as JT said, standard charges if you back it off a little bit because these primers are hotter than a standard primer.

Benchrest primers. Primers marked as benchrest primers are more consistent because a little extra QA/QC goes into their construction. The shell on BR primers is made of a thinner material that makes it easier for the firing pin to penetrate and ignite the primer. Use care when loading these into a case, they're a bit more fragile than standard and magnum primers. Also use care with ammo loaded with BR primers - it's more susceptible to slamfires with rifles that use a floating firing pin (like an AR10/15.)
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #27806

Thanks, for starters I will be conservity, my first thought was to use regular primers on the low side of powder

I don't think I.have seen anything on the Bucharest primers but I will go loook for future reference
10 years 8 months ago #27832

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Recipe with no primer listed

In this era of scarcity, you can't afford to be able to pick and choose. BR-type primers are okay to use, they just require a bit more attention.
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #27834

OK, there is a gun show coming up the 24th. I am trying to see what fair prices are on things i can use before I get there.
10 years 8 months ago #27856

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!