Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Questions on AR10T accuracy

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by waynzwld on topic Questions on AR10T accuracy

Your still limited by the mag length 2.830 max, some will feed ok and some will not.
10 years 7 months ago #28864

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Questions on AR10T accuracy

Also, follow up troubleshooting with referencing the factory tech notes. Here's the one on this topic:

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tec...10B%20R%E2%80%A6.pdf
10 years 7 months ago #28874

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Questions on AR10T accuracy

The only thing left to do that I can think of is try a batch loaded long just to see what that does to the groups. I know single loading is a real pita but it might give enough data to possibly to confirm or eliminate the throat as the problem.

If I figure out anything else I will pass it along. I'm pretty much at the end of what I know relevant to this. I just hate it that you guys are having this problem.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 7 months ago #28900

Well, I checked the Hornady overall length on my M1A and it is within 0.004" of the readings I got with the AR10.

M1A = @ 2.800" cartridge OAL the Hornady reading is 2.212 with the gauge zeroed on the caliber adapter. With the bullet touching the lands the reading is 2.308". 2.308"-2.212"=0.096"

AR10T = @ 2.800" cartridge OAL the Hornady reading is 2.218 with the gauge zeroed on the caliber adapter.
With the bullet touching the lands the reading is 2.318". 2.318"-2.218"=0.100"

Obviously both are set up for 175gr SMKs

I changed out the scope mounts, hoping that is the problem since there is not much difference between the two rifles.

Will let you know the results later.
10 years 7 months ago #29272

One step in this process I have found to help is using blue 242 Loctite on the scope mounting hardware: from the bottom up in the mounts and the rings. Tried that?
10 years 7 months ago #29278

No, haven't tried that. The rings I was using were cheap (all I had at the time) they looked strong, but I have had rings before that were not up to the job.

I use a torque wrench on my rings & mounts and have had no problems. Some mounts just do not like the AR series of rails.

Going to try some Milletts, if that don't work, I'll get some Warnes.
10 years 7 months ago #29279

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Questions on AR10T accuracy

Had a friend way back who would wrap his scope where the mounts were with adhesive tape, let it sit in the sun for a few days then take the tape off...now most of you on here are not going to remember the old adhesive tape, I do and if you are my age and ever spent time in a hospital or got a bad cut etc, you will NEVER forget the tape being removed...WOW almost takes the skin with it. In fact most of the time getting the tape off was the pain part. Even after they JERKED the tape off, the they had to removed the residue off the skin with alky, OMG talk about pain. That stuff makes gorilla tape look tame.

What the tape did was bond with anything it touched after a couple of days, pull the tape and you leave this sticky residue on it. My buddy did that on his scope to keep the scope from moving when it fired that 30 06. It worked. Which in my mind kinda gets me to thinking there is no doubt something you could pain on the scope to give the body a high traction surface, yet very thin. This should work. Hmmm, another business for me to get in...
10 years 7 months ago #29280

ArmaLite makes some great mounts ($89 IIRC) that are steel-a little heavier but a hell of a lot more affordable than the LaRue flip mount stuff that seems to run in the $150-300 range.

If you're already using a torgue wrench, you're half-way there, IMHO. When I started working on Ducatis I ordered my shop manuals from a renowned DUC wrench down in FLA, and THAT was one of his main points of directions: use a torgue wrench, and you are 150% ahead of the next wrench.

Now, when we get into the cheaper metals and machining processes you can be looking at hardware that has a "single use" function, wherein the torque values become moot as the hardware threads are stretched to a point of becoming throw-aways after one (1) torquing.
( Some engine and suspension bolts are also single use, but that's actually by mechanical design, and not a by-product of cheap production process.)

Which reminds me I gotta ship some of my wrenches for re-calibrations... :usa:
10 years 7 months ago #29281

I have used Super 33+ 3M electrical tape when the rings didn't come with anything.
never had a problem with it.
10 years 7 months ago #29285

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Questions on AR10T accuracy

:I-agree: The ArmaLite mounts are great quality and a reasonable price. I have a couple. Here is a used one on ebay, I don't know the seller;
www.ebay.com/itm/Armalite-detachable-1in...&hash=item3f29e09819
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 7 months ago #29289

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!