Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Stainless Steel Media

• Thank you received: 2

Stainless Steel Media was created by super8mm

Has anyone used something like these SS pins for tumbling media?

www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

they sound good but I know folks can hype any advertising up

If they work as advertised I don't mind paying a bit more for something that does not wear out and have to be replaced.
10 years 6 months ago #29167

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Stainless Steel Media

SS is hard stuff and yes it will make it look new or better than new. BUT I would put a timer on it because, you forget and come back the next day and all that you knew, is gone.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 6 months ago #29232

Replied by super8mm on topic Stainless Steel Media

So its not one of those deals where a little is good but a lot isn't? I understand. ;)

do you know if it will clean primer pockets so you don't have to remove material with a pocket reamer to clean them out?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by super8mm.
10 years 6 months ago #29245

I am far from being any expert, but cleaning those primer pockets will be to a large extent the size of the media your are using. It has to be small enough to get in there. But even then a visual inspection would be in order until to have established a time/size media session...
10 years 6 months ago #29246

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Stainless Steel Media

For years I used Lyman's 1200 vibratory tumbler and it did do a decent job. Primer pocket have always been hit or miss and the medial almost always becomes lodged in the pocket and mst be removed....

Like many, the rotary tumbler using stainless steel pins has a following and in my opinion growing. Like many, I joined the ranks about a year ago and have been very impressed with it's results. I bought the kit below from Brownells.

Thumler's Tumbler SS Tumbling Kit
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #36581

Replied by sti40edge on topic Stainless Steel Media

I started reloading in '72. I've used vibratory cleaners for many years,but was not satisfied with primer pocket or internal cleaning. About 2 months ago, I tried the ss media. I retumbled some previously cleaned .308 brass. I was shocked at how black the water was. I tumbled for 3 hours. Primer pockets were clean, interior of the case looked like a virgin case. I tumble the brass in a old towel for a couple of minutes and then lay them out in a shallow box under a ceiling fan. Only caution is to carefully inspect case interiors/primer flash hole for stuck media.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
9 years 10 months ago #38055

This is very important!

Whether stainless steel, corncob or walnut, it's vitally important to ensure that no media remains in the case or lodged in the flash hole. Media in the case will alter the case volume characteristics resulting in dangerously high chamber pressures. A plugged flash-hole, while not as dangerous, could cause a hang-fire or simply a dead round...
9 years 10 months ago #38162

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Stainless Steel Media

I have a couple of those "Parts Baskets" like what the shops use for dunking/cleaning carburetor parts in.
Whenever I have components that I have submerged in water, I load them all up in the parts basket, take them to the garage and blow them dry with compressed air, and watching for any stuck media in the boolit casings whilst I am atit. :busted:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
9 years 10 months ago #38165

This is a great idea and I'm baffled why I never thought of it. I've been reloading for over 30 years and this just makes so much sense yet it never even dawned on me.... :clap:
9 years 10 months ago #38265

Guns/parts submerged in water: Lots of folks forget this because its so common.

What does the 'WD' in WD-40 stand for?

Water Displacement...

If anything gets wet, really wet then spary LIBERALLY with WD-40 to pull the water from all those tiny spaces...
9 years 10 months ago #38285

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!