Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Dillon 650

• Thank you received: 85

New Dillon 650 was created by Dabu

I got my tax return and I decided to buy a Dillon 650. The press is a little bit more complicated that the single stage press that I'm familiar with.

Can anyone offer me any tips and/or tricks with the 650? I welcomely wait for your non-sugar coated advice B)
10 years 2 months ago #35040

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New Dillon 650

Know nothing about them except I want one. Interested in hearing more.
10 years 2 months ago #35041

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic New Dillon 650

Dabu,

Spend some time reading the manual to familiarize yourself with everything. Dillon does a pretty decent job at organizing and writing their manuals. Like many manuals, Dillon lays them out in sections for a reason and following them makes a lot of sense.

Online Video's....

This is where you'll actually find some great information to get you started. Dillon has some videos available and actual owners and users do a decent job at posting their how-too's and many are quite good!

I bought Dillon's RL550B a year or two before the introduction of the Dillon 650. I used this same approach to learning everything and it worked very well.

Plenty of video's here!

Dillon XL650
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Dabu
10 years 3 weeks ago #36578

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic New Dillon 650

The Hornady AP simply makes better ammo.

AP turns half an index on up and down stroke, less chance of powder spilling if your really cranking and smoother operation means less variation in how much settling the powder does in the dispenser.

Stiffer support plate, stiffer frame and no detachable head = less flex in the system. You have the choice of quick lock bushings or if you want really rock solid (though slower to swap) just use standard lee 1 1/4 to 5/8 bushings.

If I have a good steady rhythm and use a Hornady Micro powder dispenser the ammo is every bit as consistent as what I get on a single stage.

Also the AP is larger and more open than the 650. For my XL size hands this is great in letting me get in and around the press if I'm fiddling with it.

The gripe I have with the AP is that in order for LFC dies to clear the case ejector wire you must remove material from around the bottom of the LFC die.

Look at vids of both the 650 and AP and if you can, get your hands on both.

They essentially cost the same if you upgrade the AP a bit to get the most out of it (Micro powder dispenser, modified LFC dies, etc)

If you decide on a Dillon go to Brianenos.com go there anyway he has more info than even Dillon.

If AP you can get them NIB on ebay for $100 less than lowest retail I've seen. Make sure the 1000 free bullet paperwork is there and you get those to.

If you want to use LFC dies to crimp in the AP you will need to make a slight modification to the die to clear the ejector.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Dabu
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by SOC.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36619

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!