Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reloader 15 Max Load

• Thank you received: 1

Reloader 15 Max Load was created by 30CalFun

I am trying to figure out the max load for Re 15 with military brass. I have searched this site and found several posts stating that the M118 round contains 43.1 gr. of Reloader 15 with the SMK 175 gr. bullet. The Hornady load manual lists the max load for a 178 (175) gr. bullet is 41.4 gr. The Sierra manual (175 gr.) has the hottest load at 41.3. Is the M118 round loaded that much higher over max? Will this damage an AR 10 SASS or a regular AR 10? Also, considering the M118 is loaded in military brass, which is thicker, this is a pretty hot load. Thanks in advance for the info.
9 years 10 months ago #40233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Reloader 15 Max Load

Below is a link to Alliant's Reloader 15 recipes. Interesting that they have 45 grains for 168 grain bullets. No 175's but they do have a 180 gr.
Taking 10% off to start a workup puts you at 41 grains. Would like to find some chamber pressure data. Any one know of any?

www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderli...erid=12&cartridge=80
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 10 months ago #40255

Replied by 30CalFun on topic Reloader 15 Max Load

Thanks for the info Siscowet. I did see that link and it is higher than the other two manuals I have. I have shot 43 gr. with 175 through my rifle without signs of pressure I could see. I just purchased the Hornady manual and am hesitant to shoot that load due to what Hornady says the max is, though it looks like a lot of people shoot 43.1 gr. with 175's. I wonder if the military shoots this load without fear of damaging their rifles due to deeper pockets than I have...
9 years 10 months ago #40264

I have looked at a lot of threads on various forums and a lot of people load up RE15 and 175 SMK's to 43 gr. I am starting at 42 to see what kind of reults and signs of overpressure I get. I will be using LC once fired M118LR brass and another batch of M-80 brass, once fired. It is all loaded, just have to get my chronograph that is on order and head out to the range. Plan on firing some M118LR control groups in a standard 1 in 11.25 twist AR10 as well as a 1 in 10 twist AR10T carbine, followed by 168 and 175 SMK's all with 42 grains RE15. Then start working up or down to find the best load in each one.
9 years 10 months ago #40269

Thanks for the update and info. I hate to not shoot that load, as I was happy with it at distance, until I bought the new Hornady manual and looked it up and found that it is above the max load. Good luck and please keep me posted with what you find. I also have a 1:11.25 twist and it likes the 168, 175's and I am hopefully testing some 155 gr Amax's tomorrow.
9 years 10 months ago #40272

30 cal see my post a frustrating day at the range.
9 years 10 months ago #40323

Based on the data Night Force worked up in the frustrating thread, Hornady is right on.
9 years 10 months ago #40382

Yes, we might be loading them too hot. My primers look okay in Lapua brass, don't honestly remember how they looked in military brass. I will go dig around in the garage and see if I can find some shot brass with the primers still in. Maybe the military loads hot knowing they have deeper pockets to fix things when they prematurely wear out.
9 years 9 months ago #40514

I think you are right there. I am going down to 41 gr RE15 with the 175 SMK's . The 168's look ok at 42 grains.
That Quick Load software program of Night Force's is a nice tool. Check out his thread about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10before15
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 9 months ago #40516

Spent the afternoon pulling bullets and reloading some test loads with the Data from Night Forces Quickload program.
308: 175 gr Sierra Match Kings with 41 gr of RE15.
5.56 75 Hornady match BTHP with 21 gr RE15.
Now I just have to find a nice nonwindy day to hit the range.
9 years 9 months ago #40553

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!