Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What equipment to buy

• Thank you received: 12

What equipment to buy was created by jdizzle3id

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase some reloading equipment. What should I get? The primary purpose will be for a semi-auto precision rifle. I see there are plenty of kits out there i.e. Lee, rcbs, etc. Would you recommend a kit or buying separate components? Should I jump right in and purchase some sort of case cleaner? Let me know your thoughts, what lessons you've learned, and what you would do knowing what you know now.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by jdizzle3id.
9 years 9 months ago #41120

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic What equipment to buy

Congratulations, reloading is where you take the final step of taking control of what goes in your rifle and how well it shoots. To start my recommendation would be the RCBS Rock Chucker kit to start. Get comfortable with a single stage loader and all the processes and you can always move up to a progressive loader down the line. Loading for a semi-auto, always use small base die sets that fully resize the case, especially if you have more than one rifle of that caliber. Start 10% under the recommended load and work up looking for signs of pressure. Buy a reloading Manual. Hornady publishes a very good one. And read it all before starting. I would recommend a digital scale. Frankford Arsenal has one for $29.99. My manual scale was off sometimes by a full grain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jdizzle3id, NightForce
9 years 9 months ago #41121

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What equipment to buy

I'll second the RCBS Rockchucker kit :thumbs: Top quality stuff. I bought mine some 30+ years ago and it is all going strong yet. There's lots of load data on the internet but I still vote for a good manual, a couple wouldn't hurt.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jdizzle3id
9 years 9 months ago #41123

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic What equipment to buy

I too have the Rock Chucker Supreme kit.
I added More casing trays to My collection, built a stand for the powder drop measure, an electronic scale that drops the powder into the dish for the final count and a vibratory tumbler for polishing.
I know there is somethings I missed, oh, a digital mic. too.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdizzle3id
9 years 9 months ago #41124

Agree with Marty, get a digital micrometer to check case and overall length. I have found the Lee case length measure/cutters work really well. You can put them on an electric drill and they are presized for specific case cartridge length. Also get a good chamfer tool for the inside and outside of the case mouth. If you are going to load military cases, you will need a primer pocket reamer or swager to take the primer crimp out. As far as powders, I advise picking one to start and getting to know it well. For 308 I use Reloader 15. Varget is used a lot, as are a number of others.
9 years 9 months ago #41125

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic What equipment to buy

Apparently I'm seeing this thread a little late! :laugh:

The guys have given you a lot of great information!

When I began reloading 30 to 35 years ago I opted for a kit but that was before digital scales were invented. There's noting wrong with a beam scale but digital scales are faster, easier to read, and easier to use.

Choose a single stage O-frame press. These are simple to use, very strong, and have withstood the test of time.

Presses

Redding, RCBS, and Hornady are tops in my book and I personally use the Hornady 007 press.

Dies

I've tried most of them over the years and have settled on Redding. I feel Redding offers the very best in design, quality, craftsmanship. If I were to choose another manufacturer it would be RCBS then Hornady.

Hornady bullet seating dies feature a floating in-line sleeve designed to minimize bullet
run-out (misalignment caused by a canted bullet.) The cartridge neck and bullet are aligned in the floating sleeve prior to seating the bullet for in-line, precise bullet
seating. This feature is big in my book as all my Redding competition dies incorporate this feature.

Case Lubricant

Use a spray lube. I use Hornady One-Shot. It's easy to use, works great and it's never failed me.

Powder Scale

As I mentioned above, start off with a digital scale..

Powder Measure

Redding 3BR

Case Trimmer

I prefer the RCBS Trimmer Pro 2 Manual Kit

Vernier

For measuring overall cartridge length, go with a digital pair of these. They're fast, accurate, easy to read, and not very expensive.

Tools

Case neck chamfer/ deburing
Allen wrenches
Screw drivers
Case trays
Priming tool

Reloading Manuals

At least 1 hard copy is absolutely mandatory! My first choice here is Lyman...hands down!

As Marty mentioned, a vibratory tumbler and media is something you should have in order to clean your cases once they've been fired. I have an older Lyman 1200 that still works great. I've recently added a wet tumbler which uses a solution of water and mild detergent along with stainless steel pins. This does a much more thorough job at cleaning, even the primer pockets are spotless!

OH, and don't forget the powder, primers, and tips!! :thumbs:
9 years 9 months ago #41126

Replied by jdizzle3id on topic What equipment to buy

Thanks for all the replies. I've been in hyper research mode in my spare time, pricing and spec'ing out equipment. I have 2 questions so far.
1. Is there a reasonably priced small base 308 die set out there? I keep coming across pretty expensive stuff.

2. I'm assuming most people deprime, then clean the brass, then resize-trim-etc. If this is true, do you then clean again to get the case lube off of and out of the case? If so, how?
9 years 9 months ago #41181

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What equipment to buy

1. You get what you pay for, spend the money and get a good set of dies,Redding, RCBS, or Hornady. That would be the order of quality. For crimping the Lee die gets good marks but for sizing I'd stick with the top three.
2. Since I started using Hornady One-Shot for lube I have not bothered to clean after lubing, they just don't feel dirty or greasy. I used to tumble them again when I used the gooey stuff on a lube pad, took me some time to realize I didn't need to use near as much lube as I thought, a little dab will do you!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 9 months ago #41182

Replied by jdizzle3id on topic What equipment to buy

Okay this is what I've spec'd out so far:

1.) Hornady 85003 lock n load kit - $260
Lock-N-Load Classic single-stage press
Lock-N-Load Powder Measure
Electronic Scale
Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading
Three Lock-N-Load Die Bushings
Primer Catcher
Positive Priming System
Hand-Held Priming Tool
Universal Reloading Block
Chamfering and De-burring Tool
Primer Turning Plate
One Shot Case Lube
2.) Rcbs small base .308 die set - $40
3.) Franklin arsenal master tumbler kit - $79
4.) Hornady 50140 cam lock case trimming kit - $72
5.) Hornady powder trickler - $11
6.) Hornady shell holder 3@$5 - $15
7.) Lee decapping die - $12

Grand total with free shipping - $489.11

I'm thinking of going with the hornady kit for these reasons:
1) I seem to have stumbled upon a good deal
2) It appears to be of equal quality to the rcbs equipment
3) (I may be wrong here but) the hornady press has a die bushing and the rcbs doesn't? This would seem to cut down greatly on set up times.
4) It comes with a digital scale.

The rest of the equipment i chose is hornady because I'd like stuff to match.
Please let me know your opinions on my selections or if I've missed anything or have extra stuff I don't need. I haven't purchased anything yet so all opinions are welcome.

Also, I already have a digital caliper.
9 years 9 months ago #41183

That will get you started and last you a long time. The feeling when you craft a batch of really accurate handloads is one that you will enjoy. It gets to the point that you take pride in your loads out perfoming factory made ammunition. That list should get you there. Good luck and keep us informed as you go. I for one am sure I will learn a few things along the way.
:thumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdizzle3id, NightForce
9 years 9 months ago #41184

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!