Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What did you do on the reloading bench today?

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

You have got me on this one. I have to think about it for a bit.
9 years 7 months ago #41691

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

Figured I'd start fresh this afternoon by giving the press a good cleaning. Again, disassembled the die. This time I took the Dremel to the outside of the bullet seating stem and polished it. The theory was that perhaps it was dragging a bit inside the cylinder? There are only a few parts to this die and I still don't see how it could be a malfunction. Anyway, put it all back together and set up the press again and adjusted the die. Run three cases through and, again, way off the mark. I thought, perhaps the powder might be too compressed and not allowing full seating...just a thought, I didn't really believe it. Dropped the powder by a full grain and again run three cases through. No difference, still off like last night and today.
I'm perplexed, befuddled, and bewildered.
9 years 7 months ago #41702

Are you crimping at all? I am not familiar with 300 Blkout, if you crimp or not. Are the bullets tight in the case? Can't blame you for perplexed. I might suggest a 300 Blackout forum, see if this is common,
9 years 7 months ago #41704

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

I put a mild crimp on them but that isn't changing the overall length. I ordered an RCBS AR seater die to try. Meanwhile, I'll set up a different caliber hoping that it works as planned. That would narrow it down to the die and not my press.
9 years 7 months ago #41712

The Dillon is a progressive, correct? I know absolutely nothing about them, so good luck.
9 years 7 months ago #41716

MTM just sent you a PM about this.
9 years 7 months ago #41717

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by 10before15 on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

I cleaned it off and gotit all organized!
9 years 2 months ago #44186

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

So I reloaded 50 rounds 308 using Lc military brass, 165 gr Hornady sst with Varget.
I loaded 10 rounds with 40.5 grain, 10 with 41,increasing every 10 rounds up to 42.5
I then took my 308 hog hunter with Leupold Vx-r 3-7x x33 out to the range to see what worked best. I fired 10 rounds of each load into a target for a 10 shot group at 100 yds, from the bench, resting the front of the rifle only.I threw out one flyer from each group to get the group size.
I was surprised to find every load except one, measured almost 3 inches, except the 41.5grain load. This load produced 9/10 rounds in just under 1.5 inches. According to the Hornady manual, this load should be about 2600 fps at the muzzle
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 2 months ago #44190

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

:cheers: Fox sounds like you found a accurate node. Now realize I am just relaying what I heard from a expert and in no way am I a expert, I don't reload at all. I think now that you have found the node, you should first do another ladder test all the same charges but change primers, try two or three, you may find that this helps a lot. Then maybe do another with different seating depths different COAL. From what I am seeing the longer you get with mine the better, anyway its worth a shot. You may really zero in on a great load for your rifle.
9 years 2 months ago #44191

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic What did you do on the reloading bench today?

Also was the rifle bagged heavy front and rear during your ladder test.
9 years 2 months ago #44192

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!