Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Removing the buttstock and buttplate screw on R25

• Thank you received: 2

Removing the buttstock and buttplate screw on R25 was created by fivewhy

After I did this, I googled it and found the same info already on the interwebs. I decided to post this simply bc I can.

The upper screw on the butt plate is pretty big. Apparently, you can find some multitools that have a Flathead that fits this, but I went and bought the biggest Flathead screw driver I could find...a 3/8" Flathead. Then use some elbow grease. After I got the screw unlocked, everything was fine. I noticed the screw on the Remington has red loctite on it. I burned it with a handheld lighter (used pliers outside), did not use a propane torch. I then used a bronze tooth brush to removed the burned loctite. I had to repeat this process three times, and that pretty much removed all the loctite. I am curious to see if this allows the screw to loosen itself during firing. I doubt it, but I will try to remember to post something if I notice a problem. I have attached a photo of the red loctite. Fortunately, it was not a lot of loctite. I did not need to heat before unscrewing, I only had to use a tad bit of screw-you-you-screw. That is all.

Btw, if a 10/22 is an assault weapon under Sen Feinstein's definition, then this 3/8" screw driver I bought for $10 is a dern assault weapon too. I think I could take down an elk with this screwdriver, alone.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by fivewhy.
11 years 1 month ago #16596

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Moby on topic Removing the buttstock and buttplate screw on R25

If you have problems with the screw losening you might try blue loctite, it is a little less difficult to remove.
11 years 1 month ago #16669

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Removing the buttstock and buttplate screw on R25

It is an industry standard item.

ALL upper buttstock screws have a spot of thread sealer so the buttstock does not come off.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 month ago #16670

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by fivewhy on topic Removing the buttstock and buttplate screw on R25

Thanks that's good advice. And it's good to know that's a customary practice, mrraley ...well it's good to know what things are and are not customary industry practices.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by fivewhy.
11 years 1 month ago #16807

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!