Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

• Thank you received: 0

OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread was created by CAlegalish

Finishing up my Mega Arms monolithic build and need to select my glass soon. Here are the main parts: (pics under My new build but..../rifle showcase)

Mega Arms Monolithic upper/lower
JP polished Low-mas spring
JP 22" medium contour barrel (Blk Teflon) w/large tac comp
JP Enhanced bolt
JP low-mas bolt carrier
JP adj gas system (low profile block)
JP Ez trigger with 3.5 lb spring

I live close to a 1000y range and will be doing the majority of my shooting there. I am trying to stay under $2k with the mount. So far I have really only considered NF (because I have read such good things and American....except the glass) and found what I think is a pretty good deal from a reputable dealer.

Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1725.00 (NIB)

or

Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm, NPR1, .250 moa w/ ZS and high speed turrets, shipped with sun shade and flip ups for $1600.00 (NIB)

I am pretty sure that the scope is powerful enough without being complete over kill. So the million dollar question..... good choice if it were your rifle? Also, will a 56mm scope mount without and extra adapter on an adapter? Mount recommendations for either of the above scopes.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Cal
12 years 3 months ago #10141

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

I'm using a larue LT-104 spr mount to hold an NF 5.5-22x56 with plenty of room under the bell. Really an ar15 mount, I think it only has 10 moa built in and would like to see 20, but it works. From what I have seen, most of the unitized mounts will work with a 56mm objective.

I chose the scope because 22x really is overkill for most shooting, but comes in handy for spotting when out lighting up the country side with my kids, since I do not like to carry a spotting scope in the field. There was also a Pdog hunt that never happened...
Once you get on a 1000yd range you will quickly see that much magnification can become a headache in all but the most perfect shooting conditions. Field of view will have you hunting targets, every breath, fart, & blink will show up as a twitch, and mirage is horrendous. That's not to say you can't shoot well zoomed in, I've done it and many others have done it better. It is however, less forgiving and most folks settle in a sweet spot between 10x & 15x for 1000m. Much more than that is more toward the benchrest or varmint game. If that's the case, get all the magnification you can buy.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 months ago #10144

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

As per Your request...I am chiming in...
Night Force is one of the Top End scopes...that is not debatable...and Personally I wish I owned one....but never the less....
You have built quite the .308 rifle...alot of time has gone into it...as I can tell....by your choices...although, not an ArmaLite :dry: , but none the less...
Welcome to the BrotherHood....of the .308 semi Autos....
As for your questions....Scope are very "Personal"...Top of the line is always good...but does it really suit your needs....The Mark 4 or Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical is also as good...but you have to choose...I could go further..but I will leave that for another Post....
I recently "Jumped the Fence" to ADM....American Defense Manufacturing.
They are Top Quality and QD to boot...I have since replaced all my Mounts with ADM.
Even customized one to make my Light Mount...I guess that is my Suggestion...
ADM...will allow you the room + scope to stay with in your Range of $$$
The model will depend on you.....
Take alook and get back to me if you need help...A pic of your rifle and you might help...it is hard to suggest something when you don't know the person that you are suggesting too....Point .... ;)
But glad to try to help....
Link
www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 3 months ago #10151

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

Thought I would throw this in..just to really confuse you... :dry: :laugh:
This is My AR-10 with a Recon H 2" offset ....I like to ride "High" up that is..
with a NF...Center of Optic will be 1.93" center of Optic....as I said..I ride high.... ;) :cheer: :laugh: B)
BMS

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
12 years 3 months ago #10153

In response....to message #2...Yes I found they Return to Z if reinstalled correctly...like any QD mount....You should give my vids on ADM a look...
www.youtube.com/user/ETHRON1

alot of good info.....scroll down abit....then you will find the ADM mount vids...
Although...I have not personally tried them at the Range you are Stating...
BMS

Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
12 years 3 months ago #10156

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by CAlegalish on topic Re: OK, here is another need advice on a scope thread

Nice rifle BMS. I pulled the trigger today and got a scope... The one I really wanted sold but I got the next best thing for a steal (at least I think). Once I have everything built up I will post some pics.

Thanks again for your help everyone!!!
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by CAlegalish. Reason: text
12 years 3 months ago #10169

Thank You...and anytime....just ask.. B)
Look forward to the pics...
BMS

12 years 3 months ago #10172

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!