Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New rifle coming! Tooooo many options!!

• Thank you received: 0

New rifle coming! Tooooo many options!! was created by Lonestar

I've ordered an armalite 10A4 carbine with sst barrel and am trying to decide of the thousands of scopes. With champane taste and a 7-up budget I dont know quite the direction to go. I want the mil-dot, illuminated recticle, something around a 4-12X-50. But I know theres $100 to $3000 worth of options. Cheaper is always better but i dont want to buy junk. Has anyone tried the NcSTAR brand from the sportsmans guide?
12 years 1 month ago #11034

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: New rifle coming! Tooooo many options!!

First, AVOID the NcSTAR, Leepers, chicom etc..
If you must, buy some iron sights and save for good glass. Buying a cheap scope will only lead to regret. Having to deal with loss of zero, inconsistent tracking, poor clarity & terrible light gathering will take the enjoyment out of shooting your fine weapon.

Now, decide what you want out of it. What type of shooting will you be doing most? Hunting? Tactical? Range toy? Benchrest? Distance?

Regardless of your shooting interest, accurate adjustment tracking, clear glass with a bright, sharp, sight picture is what you should be shopping for.
If you are set on the mildots, try to get a scope with mil adjustments. Otherwise you will be doing conversion math to get any benefit from the mildot (or using a mildot master). Likewise, if you get a reticule graduated in MOA, the adjustments should also be MOA.

I would not specifically worry about the illuminated cross hairs. There is a common misconception that it will help in low light, the true benefit is when the target does not contrast well. You will get more use out of a feature like an adjustable zero stop than you will out of illumination.

For lower cost optics, Nikons, Burris, Vortex, Millet, Weaver and swfa Super Snipers, all seem to be well liked.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 1 month ago #11036

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Cleandean on topic Re: New rifle coming! Tooooo many options!!

I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT NOW. I saw A barska combo [deal] 4x prism illum. in two colors. laser and light..... Guy at the gun club. after 50 rds. of .308 ; point of aim ,nowhere near, point of impact.
12 years 4 weeks ago #11050

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Match223 on topic Re: New rifle coming! Tooooo many options!!

A friend had an Armalite AR-10 built with a custom barrel, has well over $2,000 invested and put a Hawk mildot scope on it. The group size at 100 yards were 2 to 4" and would always string horizontally.
I put a scope I knew was good, a Springfield Armory 6x that I had laying around, and shot 1/2 to 3/4" groups with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.
My brother-in-law gave me some excellent advice around 15 years ago "spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle if you expect accuracy", I have cheated on this at times but I now have only Leupold, early Nikon and Springfield Armory scopes on my rifles and have only had one scope go bad (a Nikon Buckmaster which was repaired at no charge at the factory).
12 years 4 weeks ago #11085

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!