Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10T carbine NOOB

• Thank you received: 0

AR-10T carbine NOOB was created by black mountain marksman

Hey from Montana. I'm new to scopes, but not to AR platforms. My questions are more than just scopes, but they determine which to get. I have an AR-10T carbine and want to know what is its max effective range and what sort of accuracy can I expect at up to 500m? I haven't shot past 100m due to lousy ranges before I got here. I am confident with the irons from the service, but I want to bump it up a notch. I know every rifle is different, but how about some of your figures. I ask because I'm choosing an optic and want something that will compliment it nicely. I dont want to over do it and spend unnecessary money on too much scope. I want to stay in the six to seven hundred range, and thinking variable to use even in close situations instead of off set irons or red dots. I target shoot, want to hunt in the future and have for defense when the bombs fall. Just something for overall use, sorry if that is too vague. I thought a Leup VX3 3.5-10 x 40-50 with custom dial settings and maybe the Boone and Crockett reticle.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11232

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 12stones on topic Re: AR-10T carbine NOOB

Welcome to the forum black mountain. When I got my ss carbine I was told by more experienced 308 shooters here that it should be accurate to 800 yds. Past that it is going subsonic. Ive only shot to 300 yds so far, but its still holding tight groups at that range. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x50 ($200) on mine and have been pleased with it. it holds zero and the BDC is right on. That leaves $4-500 for ammo, at a buck or more a pop, that will go fast. I would like to of put a night force on it but I,m happy with the nikon for now. I'm sure you will enjoy your new rifle.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11245

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by black mountain marksman on topic Re: AR-10T carbine NOOB

Thanks I was hoping it was worthy of longer shots. I'm in Montana now and I have all the distance I can possibly shoot. Do you chronograph or any other hi tech stuff the other guys do? How do you run your set up? Just wondering. The Nikons seem nice and I've heard good things. Had their m-223 ar scope mount, but did not like how hex keys bolted it to the receiver. What ammunition do you get your best groups with?
12 years 2 weeks ago #11246

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 12stones on topic Re: AR-10T carbine NOOB

I get my best groups with Federal Gold Medal Match in 168, it is very consistant. Ive also shot some Black Hills in 168 and 175. They were ok but not as tight as FGMM. Ive also got some Winchester Silver tips for hunting rounds, they shot about the same as the Black Hills. I dont have any of the fancy equipment like cronos and range finders. My son and I walk out our range with a 100 ft. tape. A range finder is definitley on my wish list as is reloading equipment. After a couple of failed scope mounting setups I settled on an Armalight high mount. It works great. It has room for the Butler flip up covers and I havent had any trouble holding zero. My rifle is a 10A4CBSF which is a 16" ss collapsing stock carbine. I don't think it qualifies as a 10T because of the stock and regular hand guard instead of a free float. It is still a very accurate rifle , I can get 1 MOA most of the time. When I dont, its me not the rifle.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11254

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!