Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What works best for old eyes?

• Thank you received: 556

What works best for old eyes? was created by jtallen83

I've been considering an aimpoint or eotech for my flat top but I don't seem to find much info on how these sights work for people that need bifocals. I don't seem to have an issue using my Bushnell elite 4200 without my prescription glasses but have noticed several people selling used aimpoints and eotechs claiming they just didn't work for their eyes. I could get some prescription shooting glasses but I really don't want the sight to be useless if I break my glasses. Anyone out there have any real world experience with the "old eyes" issue?
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11695

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: What works best for old eyes?

From what I have read on the subject, and I agree there's scant little out there, Aimponts seem to fare a bit better for those wearing bifocals than EoTechs due to the complexity of the EoTech's reticle.
RLTW
11 years 10 months ago #11702

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: What works best for old eyes?

My friend you are not alone...I too wear glasses with bifocals.
As with you, I can easily use my scope without my glasses because I can focus the scope to my eyes, actually my glasses will present their own issues when looking through a scope so I don't wear them, also if it were a Grab n Go you won't have your glasses on anyway...
As for your inquiry...
Most AimPoints have I believe a 2 MOA dot..this is very small to see for most of use, as for the Eotech, I don't really have alot of experience with them...
My suggestions,
you might look at the Burris XTS-135 Tactical Speed Dot, I did a review on one and it held up nicely to the AR-10, and it has a 5 MOA dot which is much easier to see for us with "old eyes" ;) and is about half the cost..granted the battery life is not as impressive as the AimPoint but they are quite functional.
Also, you might try mounting it as far forward on the receiver as you can, this will aid in seeing the dot. To add, you might also look into a 3X magnifier that can used and disengaged when not wanted...you can focus the magnifier to your eyes for further distance shots...it will also depend on what range you set the magnifier and sight in the red dot....
I also recommend The ADM QD mounts...for what you save with the XTS-135, you can easily buy a quality QD mount for it..
Hope it helps...
BMS

It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 10 months ago #11713

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tigerdan on topic Re: What works best for old eyes?

I too waer glasses and I'm not getting younger. I have a eotech BDC for the 308 and love it I do have it mounted alil forward on my flat top. It seems to me by adjusting the brightness right I can do ok. It seems to take alot of practice to shoot with one at 100 yards and more to keep good shot placement. Just like a standard scope got to keep head and eye in the same place to stay consistant. It is great at close range.
11 years 10 months ago #11723

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!