Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Osprey Scope

• Thank you received: 16

Osprey Scope was created by silverman1

Has any one here ever tried an Osprey international scope ?
I had a 4-16 X50 on my AR 15 ,and had good luck with it ,,but wanted to try the 10-40 X 50 on my LR.308 for longer ranges.
I was worried about the increased recoil on the .308 ,and if it would hold up.
I took the 4-16 off the AR,and put it on my LR.308 .
After carefull alaignment ,by using a level on the side of the reciever ,and
lineing up the cross hairs with a plumb bob ,I took it out and tried it.
Our club has a short range @ 65 yds ,and this is where I zeroed it.
I set the ''0'' on the turret knobs ,and went over to the 100/200 yd range.
A few clicks was needed @ 100 ,and without any adjustments ,I was knocking down bowling pins at 200 yds.
This was done with mil surp LC ammo.
After working up a load with sierrs 169 gr HPBT match King bullets ,I went back out and set targets up @ 50 ,100 ,150 ,and 200 yds.
Any vertical adjustments I made did not change my horizontal settings.
Out of curiosity ,I spun the turret knobs both directions on W & E and returned them to zero ,and was within 1/8 in of my original setting.
So I repeated this several tines ,and the groups would shift app 1/8 in ,in usually one direction only.
I do not know if my Nikon will even do that.
I have only about 200+ rounds through the LR with this scope ,and was curious if anyone else has used one of these ,and if they hold up for you.
It was getting dark ,and I wanted to shoot a few rounds through my .270 with a Nikon 10x scope,and discovered the osprey had more light gathering ability ,than the nikon ,and they were both 50 MM scopes.
Anyone else have a 10 to 40 X50 Osprey ?
How does it hold up ?
After paying over 1K for the rifle ,buying 8# 4895 ,500 LC NM brass,and 500 169 gr match bullets ,the shooting budget is shot ,and the 229.00 price for the 10-40 X50 ,looks good to me.
11 years 10 months ago #11885

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Osprey Scope

I am back to answer my own question.
Osprey was out of buisness for about a year,due to a fine at the plant in China,and I could not find a new one,so I bought a used one off ebay.
They are back running again,and their 229.-- scope is now MSRP $329.00.
I bought the 10-40 X 50 and installed it on my DPMS LR 308
After 300+ rounds,the zero is still holding.
I have a couple of older Tasco world class,and those scopes would get all blury over 18 power.
This scope is clear,all the way to app.38,or 39 power.
Using it Prarie Dog hunting,Up untill about 1 PM when the heat started mirage,I could use it at full power,to see the critters @ 5 to 700 yds with no problems,and I used the illuminated crosshairs,when it was approaching dusk.
The only complaint I have about it,it is a tactical scope,and the crosshairs will cover a dog @ 500 yds.
I would like to see a hunting model made,with a FINE crosshairs,and with small rangefinder lines on the bottom.
This one has a rangefinder on the bottom that looks like a LAWS rocket launcher sight,and Osprey's directions,and their website,have no directions for it's use,or how far @ 100 yds the marks are supposed to be.
If anyone can tell me how to use this,please let me know.
So I just made up a range card,where to set the scope,and laminated it to my portable shooting bench.
11 years 1 month ago #19398

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!