Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope Slipping

• Thank you received: 21

Scope Slipping was created by Moby

I went to the range and when I returned home I noticed my focus knob didn't turn. Looking closer I found the scope had slipped and pushed hard against the one piece rings.

Do you guys use Locktite or some other way to prevent this? The screws are tight.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Moby.
11 years 6 months ago #12522

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by sonogun on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I am still waiting for my scope so I have no hands on experience with your problem. What I do know is there are three basic forms of Loktite and they come in three colors. If you do go that route, I would use the blue (medium strength). My understanding is that a scope mount is a precision device itself to some degree so if you place anything between the scope and rings, you could cause a problem with keeping the scope properly sited. I have had similar problems with other applications that I resolved by shimming. If you were to take a few large Bandaid Sheerstrips and only use the rubberized adhesive portion, perfectly applied around the scope where the ring placements are located with no over lapping ridges, that would give you a rubberized non slip service between the mount and scope. Is that a one inch scope tube or 30mm? When you say the screws are tight, is there any remaining gap between the upper and lower halves of the mount? If the top half of the mount is clamping down on the bottom half, then it can not clamp on the scope with enough force to prevent slipping in which case something is out of spec and shimming will resolve that. I hope this gives you something to look into until the experts chime in.
11 years 6 months ago #12526

One thing I failed to mention was that what ever you do it should be reversible. With that said, the best way to resolve your slippage problem would be to mill the four mating surfaces of your mount which would amount to a resizing of the inside diameter of the rings. This process is similar to resizing crankshaft caps when you have decreased the diameter of the journals during crankshaft resurfacing. Simply get a small piece of glass (no sharp edges), a fine grit of emery paper and work the surfaces against the flat abrasive surface you created with the emery paper and glass. Do not go to far and be cautious of your torque values. Use blue Locktite on the screws. I failed to do this and wasted a lot of ammo re-siting my iron sights that worked loose after 1 session at the range. I re-secured them with blue Loktite and they held perfectly but as with any machine, pre-trip your AR every time out.
11 years 6 months ago #12528

Replied by Moby on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I have access to a machine shop amd I think I'll take a few thousand's off the end caps and use the Blue Loctight as advised. Good to hear someone else has tried it and it worked.

Appreciate the help sir.
11 years 6 months ago #12538

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: Scope Slipping

yes blue not red unless you never want to remove it. i use blue locktight on everything but breakfast
11 years 6 months ago #12541

The rings I have are Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1-Piece Extended Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with Integral 30mm.

www.midwayusa.com/product/199560/burris-...-flattop-ar-15-matte

edit:
I think I'll go with the blue loctite.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Moby.
11 years 6 months ago #12542

These guns operate in an environment that can be brutal with only taking the recoil shock into account. Then there is the added factor of needing to service the scope should the need arise, so the Red Loktite will hamper that. The blue is plenty strong. I am assuming these rings use phillips head screws? With a phillips head, sometimes tight means you turn them until the screwdriver slips which may not be tight enough specially if the screwdriver does not match the head perfectly. For that reason I switch out all important fastener with torx head screws whenever possible.
11 years 6 months ago #12543

You are not only fortunate to have access to a machine shop Moby, you are smart and you make good decisions too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moby
11 years 6 months ago #12545

Thanks partner but my wife would argue that last post. LOL

The scope actually has allen head screws and they seem pretty stout.
Even with the slipping I think a gun smith would probably tell me I should have used loctite as some of the pro's on AR10T have suggested.
After all a .308 is fairly big bang and I assume all the expeirienced shooters use loctite to avoid my issue. lesson learned.

I'm thiinking just a few thousands shaved (.003?) and the right amount of blue loctite and I'm probably good to go.
Any excuse to pop some more rounds works. LOL

I was using American Eagel 150 grain FMJ rounds when the slipping occured.
11 years 6 months ago #12546

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nutz260 on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I've had the same problem while working up loads for a 300 Win Mag. I've found that when shooting off a bench, it really punishes the scope rings. The rear one takes all the recoil. Everybody that replied to this is correct. I always check the tightness of the screws before and during a shooting session,especially when breaking in a new gun. Always buy the very best bases and rings you can afford. Hope this helps.
11 years 6 months ago #12575

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!