Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope Slipping

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by givey on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I have had issues with slipping both on my Armalite AR10 and with my AR15 using the PERP mounts. Both have been issues with the scope rings becoming loose. I have solved the issue with making sure when tightening the rings that if the fit is not perfect around the scope that the gap is even on both sides of the scope and to tighten the screws in a cross pattern in 2 or 3 stages much like the pattern on a cylinder car. After doing this I have not had any issues over the past 2 years and several hundred rounds even without locktite. I still check the torque every time I clean the rifle just to make sure.
11 years 6 months ago #12642

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Moby on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I checked with txlongshotb4 (a member here) and he mentioned that while in the Amry (he's a sniper type) they torqued cap screws to 15 ft lbs. But those were steel rings. Mine are aluminum.

I've sent an email to Burris and Millet (manufacturers of my scope and rings) and asked them for torque specs. I'm sure I'll use loctite as many have mentioned on this forum and probably be fine.

Gearin up for a hog hunt here real soon.
11 years 6 months ago #12644

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Scope Slipping

I do have a sausage grinder and could find a couple good recipes, sure you will have good luck with that setup :woohoo:
AKAI
11 years 6 months ago #12657

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Scope Slipping

Be careful to use the blue removable thread locker, I know their has been a lot of talk on thread locker or not, but! be careful what you choose! because if you get the High strength (271-609 Red Green) you may need a torch to heat up the part to remove it :ohmy: and that could be detrimental to a scope :pinch: So just make sure to use the removable type. (Removable Thread Locker Blue #242) B)
AKAI
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moby
11 years 5 months ago #12658

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Scope Slipping

You don't necessarily need a torch. A heat gun usually heats the loctite enough to allow the screw to be removed. But I agree - heat, aluminium and glass is a bad combo.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #12661

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!