Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

selecting the right one

• Thank you received: 0

selecting the right one was created by black mountain marksman

Hello folks. I'm sure this has been posted before of tell me how to spend my money, but I just need some input. I'm finally selecting an optic for my Armalite AR-10T carbine and cannot decide. I was looking into the 1-4/ 1-5 variable "mini" scopes, but feel that will be cutting my self short with range. I've only ever used an ACOG so that's the magnification I'm used to. I'm not a sniper or making holes at a grand out and my longer range scope shooting knowledge is limited. I would like to utilize my weapons range capabilities, around seven to eight hundred meters just so I know I can. The weapon is/will be a general purpose system. Hunting when I can, defense when I must and just shooting for practice and fun. I have irons for close and fast work so a CQB optic is not so important. Locally for sale is Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 green/ mil-dot. Leupold VX-R fire dot duplex 3-9x40 and a 4-12 x 40something. Both have the CDS knobs on top. Then there's the Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC non illuminated. I'm a fan of trijicon, but hate using a tool to adjust the sights. Then again cant I just use the mil-dot like a BDC? The Leupolds are duplex, but I can adjust range by hand and I feel that might be more important than a mil-dot reticle. The Nikon seems to solve all these issues, but does not illuminate and seems a bit much scope for what I'm doing. I'm not knocking anyone's favorites, just trying to figure if these would be right for me.
11 years 5 months ago #13434

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic selecting the right one

Big fan of acogs myself. I've never seen a scope take a beating and keep working like an acog. I do feel that the short eye relief is a con that can cause issues in correct mounting position. And while the scopes can be quick, snap shots tend to be slowed down because of hunting for the sight picture when bringing the rifle to shoulder.
personally, if I were going to do a short,light,general purpose rifle, I would follow scout rifle concepts. I would look at bright clear scopes with large field of view and long eye relief. I would be good with either a fixed 4x or variable 3x-9x or similar. I would not worry about using a tool to adjust the scope, given the intended purpose of the weapon, I would set it and forget it at a mean distance that gave me reasonable holdover/under within my intended range. I do not personally care for BDC in scopes unless they can be adjusted. In this case it might be worth checking out.

800 meters is hitting somewhat long distance for a .308. It's right about here that things get interesting/frustrating. You are looking at a 30 MOA elevation from a 100m zero, about 9mils which would put it well out of holdover. or you can zero at 200 and be in the 18-19moa or 5.5mils at 700, that would likely work with a BDC. An added plus with 700-800 range is that you have more leeway in ammo since you wont have any problems staying over transonic.
{Disclaimer: all numbers are guesstimated scientifically while on the shitter and should not be taken as entirely accurate.}
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13442

Replied by black mountain marksman on topic selecting the right one

Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 fire dot TMR 30mm main tube. Anyone have any experience with this or similar? I feel this would be a good balance and what I'll likely need. I'm also interested in the ARMS throw rings. Are these recommended? I had one of their BUIS on my service M-4 and wound up broken due to being tossed by an IED. Also not sure how high or low of rings I would need to clear 40mm objective bell. Again flat top with the Armalite FF hand guard up front. Will it be a problem if I got the 1 inch throw rings and just used the 30mm inserts? Again no experience with this. Thanks
11 years 5 months ago #13624

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic selecting the right one

I'd pass on arms. I still have a few of there products, but I have broken more arms mounts than not. As for the rings, it would be 1 inch adapters in 30mm rings because 30mm is the larger diameter, wont work the other way around. I prefer a unitized cantilever mount like larue, adm or armalite over rings, depending on the length of the scope, you may not be able to mount it forward enough with rings. You can not bridge the scope onto the railed forend, it is not stable enough and will flex the snot out of the scope.

Leupold makes a great product, I have not used that particular optic, but I have no reason to doubt it either.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13631

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic selecting the right one

I'll chime in against ARMS mounts as well. There are better options out there for about the same amount of money. I too, am a fan of one piece mounts, they're just easier to set up and maintain IMO.

From your posts it sounds like a 1-6x or 8x would really fit the bill. IOR/Valda makes a good one, but they tend to be on the heavy side. Leupold will be coming out with a 1-6 CQBSS in a few months as well.

Also, Bushnell has it's Elite Tactical 3-9 HDMR that's gotten very good reviews, but it's pretty spendy. Check out the trade/sale thread at Sniper's Hide. Those guys change optics the way I change my socks so there's some good deals to be had.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13634

Thanks, hope I can still keep the BUIS under the objective bell. Thinking about keeping it Armalite, but I like the throw levers. Are the Larue's worth the money? Only hear good things about their gear so I guess so. Just settled on the Leupold VX-R 3-9 Fire dot TMR.
11 years 4 months ago #13670

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic selecting the right one

The "quick release" levers on my Burris PEPR mount have kinda been a pain. They are difficult to use and adjust but do return to zero for me. I'm thinking I could remove and replace the Armalite mount just as fast with a quarter. I've never seen anything negative on the ADM mounts, LaRue's have been said to be rough on the rails if your taking them on and off much but I've never been able to afford one to see for myself. I noticed this same issue of gouges in the rail with an ARMS mount I have on a flashlight.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #13677

Thanks again everyone for the info. Gun show this weekend and hopefully the Leupold will be here by then. Maybe they will have demo mounts to try out.
11 years 4 months ago #13750

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic selecting the right one

Hope your gun shows are better than the ones we have around here in SW Oklahoma. Mostly cheap Chinese pot metal mounts and optics.

Should the gun show be a dry hole, check out SWFA (www.swfa.com). They have plenty of mounts and their sales staff know what they're talking about.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #13752

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!