Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Engraved Reticles vs What Else?

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Engraved Reticles vs What Else? was created by Sharkey

Just looking around and I see some scopes advertised with Engraved reticles. What are some of those high end scopes done with and what is the difference in the reticles and what is the usually the preferred reticle type?

I know the "engraved" is probably just for the crosshairs but you know what I mean. What are the "other" choices and which is the preferred?
11 years 3 months ago #15943

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Engraved Reticles vs What Else?

Once upon a time the crosshairs used to be a separate piece of thin metal cut to shape, or even wires strung across the erector tube between lenses. These types were of course prone to breakage. Etching the reticle into the lens increased durability, reduced cost, and created more options for patterns that could not previously be done.
The low end scopes however just paint on the lens rather than etch it. This usually causes hazy edges and has inconsistent spacing.
Aimpoint and eotechs also do not use an etched reticule, but for different reasons.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #15946

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Engraved Reticles vs What Else?

Thanks buddy. Being an old shotgun and pistol critter kinda kept me out of the loop on scopes so I'm tryin to pick up the knowledge ya know... :)
11 years 3 months ago #15949

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!