Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

trijicon acog

• Thank you received: 0

trijicon acog was created by echoniner111

So i just bought my RRA 308 and while researching and reading everything i can get my hands on my buddy puts his two cents in and now im doubting ;) myself.

I've fell in love with the trijicon acogs and said buddy thinks its foolish to put a 3 or 4 power scope on my 308 . Why do so many people swear by these low powered scopes.

I've done the traditional scopes, i have a 6.5 x20 50mm leupold on my 7mm ultra mag and its like holding up a flag pole :pinch: and im trying to stay light but dont wanna give up magnification at 3 and 400 yards just to stay light . :whistle:

Acog owners, Thoughts??
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by echoniner111. Reason: wording
11 years 2 months ago #16780

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic trijicon acog

Before the guys who really know their stuff say anything, I will throw my 2 cents in. You can shoot a heck of a long ways with just 4x.
11 years 2 months ago #16781

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic trijicon acog

Nothing at all foolish with an low mag scope on a .308, and you will appreciate the field of view for rapid target acquisition. Don't buy the scope to fit the caliber, choose the right scope for your intended purpose. Getting a large variable optic for 300-400 yards is like eating cereal with an over-sized spoon. It can work for that, but there is this nagging little voice in the back of your mind telling you there is a better way to go about it. 400 yards is iron sight range and a good 4x like an acog allows the shooter to be more precise at that distance and then some, without giving up overall shootability and general purpose all around handiness of the rifle.
Trijicon is hands down the most rugged optic I've ever seen. I used to own a TA31ecos and will regret selling it for the rest of my life. I've personally seen acogs take a beating, literally used as a hammer, and keep on working. The only thing I would call a failure in an acog, that I have seen first hand, was when the vertical adjustment knob was driven into the scope. It still worked, just couldn't adjust the elevation. These things are as close to private proof as it gets.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #16782

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic trijicon acog

There goes 13 Fox giving good advice again, don't pay any attention to him he knows what he is talking about, avoid him at all costs. Don't listen to him he is an Artillery man sending stuff down range with 100 meter and beyond (way beyond) kill zones, in his world close is good enough, they are all dead anyhow...

I have a fix 4x on mine its a great OVERALL unit. If you want to use your AR for a sniper rifle, then like 13 Fox says buy to suit the purpose!!!
11 years 2 months ago #16826

Replied by echoniner111 on topic trijicon acog

Thanks!!

I guess ill end up buying the acog soon, i want be shooting for distance often enough to justify a higher powered optic.

Ps , and ill pay no attention to 13 since he's so damn knowledgeable !!

Knowledge!! What a burden! :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by echoniner111.
11 years 2 months ago #16831

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic trijicon acog

I really recommend the acog. I was skeptical about using them when my unit in 07 was first issued them before we went to iraq. Everyone thought it was just another fancy overpriced piece of experimental crap that we had to drag around like a bunch of other useless stuff being issued to us at the time. We honestly tried to break the ones we got so we wouldn't have to use them. we threw it on the ground, stomped on it, played a little baseball with it too.

But it held together and maintained zero.

And after few classes at the range, I ended up shooting better at close range and to 500m than I used to.

My only complain is that on a sunny day the chevron got too bright, so we had to put a piece of tape on the tritium strip so it wouldn't be so bright.

So when you buy one, read up on the Bindon aiming concept.

And like 13fcolt said, make sure you get the right scope for the right caliber. Don't forget about the barrel length or the bullet weight either.
11 years 2 months ago #16834

11 years 2 months ago #16835

Replied by echoniner111 on topic trijicon acog

First / thanks for your service, much appreciated.

Mine is the 20 inch barrel on the RRA standard operator.
As far as grainage / whatever i can find really ( just being honest )
11 years 2 months ago #16837

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic trijicon acog

It really depends on what you plan to get from your rifle. I've run with a TA11H a few times on my 16", and I have to say I really really like the way it feels/works especially in quick transition from near to far acquisition. BAC works for me.

I had been planning on buying a 20" SASS upper and putting some nice glass on it, before supply evaporated. I'm not unhappy at having the near to mid range rig on it though. It's far more likely that's the setup I'd have more use for in local hunting or defense emergency. The one time I was almost in a position to need my AR-10 for defense of others, the engagement range was less than 100 yards (maniac in a truck trying to run people over), far too close for a high power scope given the dynamic target.
11 years 2 months ago #17087

Heck when they are that close I like to grab my AR 10 by the barrel and just beat some sense into them...

One thing I can say is these ole AR 10's are no lightweight stick, reminds me of my M 14 days, which I think soldiers should still be using, does amazing for upper body strength.

Having had to resort to a butt stoke to the face in an encounter back in '67 with an M 16, I can only imagine the damage one could do with an AR 10...
11 years 2 months ago #17105

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!