Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

scope for 22 cal

• Thank you received: 67

scope for 22 cal was created by foxhunter

I have an old knock about Ruger 10/22 that I want to put a fixed scope on, anywhere from 2.5 x to 4x would be ok. I want a scope that will take the usual abuse of a gun you would throw in the truck or on a 4 wheeler, leave in the barn, etc, without worrying about breaking it or knocking off the sites. I am willing to go up to $200, which is still exceeding my rule of thumb that the price of the gun should roughly match the price of the scope. I will mount it on weaver type scope mounts as the old gun already has a weaver scope base and I can't get it off without breaking the screws holding it on.

Any suggestions?
11 years 2 months ago #17488

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic scope for 22 cal

I have an old 10/22 that has had a Bushnell 2.5x on since 1977. It works, it's accurate, but I am thinking of switching to a red dot sight. Given the limitations of the .22 LR it makes more sense to me, especially for snap shooting at rabbits and squirrels. Only thing is then I am dependent on batteries.
11 years 2 months ago #17490

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic scope for 22 cal

I have to go with this Fox...I put a 3x9 Bushnell sportsman on my sons 10/22, it has gone through 4 Rifles and still held up...first was a .30-06 Rem 770, then the Early version of my AR-10, then to the M-15, and finally found it's home on the 10/22 and has Still held up. It has been Abused, Used and Knocked around...but Still holds True. For their bottom end scope...Well, it has my vote for the Toughest Little SOB of a Scope I have ever Owned...Take it for what it is worth My Brother.... :twothumbs:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 2 months ago #17493

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic scope for 22 cal

One caution and Achilles heel on the Bushnell 3x9's: good scope, but back in 1981 I was caught in a pouring rain for four hours during deer season. Got inside and cleaned my rifle and scope- or so I thought. It had a Bushnell 3x9 scope on it. I neglected to put any gun oil on the threads of the variable power dial and work it back and forth.. The next year I went to change the power at the range, and it was rusted solid! It became a very nice 3x scope after that. If you get a variable power, always check for moisture there. In this case Ithink it was compounded by dissimilar metal corrosion. Strangely enough, four years later I had the same thing happen to another Bushnell 3x9 that I had kept cleaned and lubricated. So it may very well have been a design flaw of the older Bushnells. That's what made me guess dissimilar metal induced corrosion.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Siscowet.
11 years 2 months ago #17494

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic scope for 22 cal

Bushnell 3x9 is on the Remmy 562 and works great, but just picked up a Weaver VX22 for 3 bucks at auction that will go on the Ruger or may be the air rifle. At these prices I figure why not experiment until I find what I like also have a fixed 4x I think its a Bushnell(have to look) 25 bucks + shipping would buy it! I'll measure the tube and let ya know if your interested in a good scope Fox, let me know?
AKAI
11 years 2 months ago #17499

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic scope for 22 cal

2 schools of thought here. IMO head to Wal mart, they got some good, inexpensive scopes at a price point that when it fails you you can go buy another one.

I like LOW power on my .22, most of my shooting is 50 yd or less, snakes in the pond and river, varmits in the bar. More power in scopes gives one better eyesight, thus you see further and rapidly begin to exceed the limits of the .22 for general use. If you are target shooting then the effective range of a 22 is a LONG ways....that said if you come post you are shooting BEAR with your Ruger 10/22 or shooting deer at 1000 yards with it, then I am going to suggest a different forum for you (YES I have seen that posted and in fact the guy claimed he killed 6 Grizz with his 22). Its an expert ONLY forum and its members regularly drop game out to 3000 yards with iron sights even...

My old R 10/22 I put around 25,000+ rds down range with it then passed on to a young kid, it was getting to the point that accuracy had got rather erratic and it was getting tuff to pop a water mocs head stickin up out of the water in a pond.

So wehen I retired my staff presented me with a new Ruger 10/22 in Stainless, folding stock and flash suppressor (as if it needs one) but does add to the cool factor...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #17510

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic scope for 22 cal

Well, last night I found an old barska red dot, and mounted it. I don't like Barska, mainly because they are chinese, but I thought I would just give the red dot a shot, since I have never used one on a 22 and it might be fun on squirrels and turtles.
However, for $25 for a 4x I would be interested. Is it a Banner ?. Can PM me if you want with details. I'm interested
11 years 2 months ago #17528

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!