Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

• Thank you received: 188

Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside was created by LebbenB

I had been looking for a new optic for my Armalite carbine. The intent was a lower powered optic, 1-4x or 1-6x, a sort of GP optic that I could use from bad breath distance out to 600 or so.

Ordinarily, I would have turned up my nose at a scope that cost $100 or so. But my guy at SWFA put me onto the Optisan Mamba 1-4x24. After doing some research and asking owners what they thought of it, I went ahead and ordered it. SWFA had a package deal with optic and mount for $150.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The scope has a built in BDC for 55 gr .223 @ 3100 FPS. Since the scope went on a .308 rifle, I really wasn't too concerned with that feature. The reticle is a circle dot, akin to an EoTech, with stadia lines at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock presumably to help establish leads. The reticle is in the second focal plane and shows to be a true 1x. The reticle has both red and green illumination.

Adjustments are in 1/2 MOA increments for both windage and elevation. Turrets are capped and weatherproofed. Adjusting the scope is somewhat problematic due to the mushiness of the turrets. If you have ear pro and gloves on, you will NOT be able to feel/hear the adjustments you're making.

Eye relief is about 3-3 1/2 inches at 4x, at 1x the reticle is parallax free making it great for CQB work.

The mount is a pretty basic affair. It's probably going to go away and be replaced by an ADM or LaRue QD mount.

It was a blustery day at the range when we went out to zero the beast. Wind was 25 MPH gusting to 35 MPH, ESE. Ammo was 168 gr. SMK over 40 gr. IMR 4895, Federal brass and Federal primers. COL was 2.8 inches.

Despite the mushiness of the turrets, rough zero was accomplished in 6 rounds. BZO was done at 100 yds and took 9 rounds. Overall my wife and I ran 100 rounds through it and the zero never wandered.

The most impressive thing about the scope - given it's cost - was the clarity of the glass and reticle. I was expecting some distortion or soft spots in the lenses, but there were none to speak of.

I never thought I would recommend a scope this cheap, but the quality of the glass alone makes this scope a steal. If you can deal with the mushy turrets and you don't have a lot to spend, you could do a lot worse than the Optisan Mamba.

I saved so much money on the scope that I bought a new GG&G bi-pod!

And here's a pic of the wife getting her Sig on

RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by LebbenB.
11 years 1 month ago #18854

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

Thanks for the write up. I am thinking of something new for the 5.56 HBAR, that sounds like just the ticket.
11 years 1 month ago #18857

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

High dollar scopes like so many things mostly appeal to the desire to buy something to do it better. Few, very few ever do. The Jeep Rubicon in box stock configuration is more Jeep than 99% of off roaders can drive to, same goes for the BASE model Corvette, 99% will never drive to that level.

Me I buy cheap scopes, at near 70 my eyes are not what they were and I NEVER had perfect eye sight. Sure a $3000 buck scope would look and sound all kool and that is about all I would get out of it.

Good friend of mine and old SF soldier, missed being the Sgt Major of the Army by one vote. He was a hellva of guy. He made a little money on the side playing pool. The ole Sgt Maj lived hard and played hard. He worked the pool halls and he would drop by a pool hall early in the day and dropped off a broom. Later that night he would wander in and look for a mark. He would play the tables winning and losing, drinking and trust me the guy drank hard and could hold his liquor.

He would start acting a bit tipsy, miss some shots, talking big and talking loud. Then he would make a statement he could beat the best player there with nothing but a broom stick...little did they know that broom had been dropped off earlier that day and that Sgt Maj practiced with that broom every day. I would see him over in our day room rackin and stackin and playing shots...he was GOOD, REAL good.

Like a scene out of the movie the "Hustler' Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason (Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats) that Sgt Maj would walk out of that pool hall with a pocket full of money.

Bottom line its not the scope its the shooter...
11 years 1 month ago #18875

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

Cool......I went for a budget scope for my AR10T

Vortex PST 2.5-10, outstanding value!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 1 month ago #18876

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

I agree. One of my instructors back in Sniper School once said that a scope doesn't help you shoot better, it helps you SEE better.

I forgot to mention weight. The scope without mount, is a shade over 17 oz.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #18881

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

I just looked that scope up and it doesn't say tactical, CQB or anything cool though. You got ripped off if it doesn't have at least ONE really cool word or acronym in there buddy. Sorry. Dems da rools... :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Sharkey.
11 years 1 month ago #18888

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

Good info buy what you can afford :thumbs: :thumbs: and most the rest of it is just natural or practice, practice, practice :nicethread: I have seen more people out shot with high dollar optics by someone that it all comes to naturally. And personally I'm old can't see and shake a lot(no its not the alcohol Sharkey), but give me a target and watch out. :twocents: Let's go shooting not seeing!
AKAI
11 years 1 month ago #18895

How bout the LACK of it??? :laugh: That's usually what gets the shakes goin ya know... :)
11 years 1 month ago #18898

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Optics Snob Eats Crow, Details Inside

Ya, been there done that No thanks, old age is enough for me.
AKAI
11 years 1 month ago #18900

If I ever shake, it's just from fatigue due to carryin around all this handsome.. It's quite a burden sometimes... :laugh:
11 years 1 month ago #18902

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!