Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Rail install, a primer

• Thank you received: 529

Rail install, a primer was created by OleCowboy

Talking with a Buddy who was telling me that ever since he installed a scope rail its really throw off his zero and shooting. I said bring it by and lets take a look. Well it all looked ok, but I was perplexed as to why its not shooting like it should with nothing but a rail swap.

Now most on here probably already know what I am going to say and this is aimed at really newbies.

So I ask my buddy how did he put it on...well he just screwed it on, but that was it. So I said lets take it off and put it back on. As I was taking it off I felt the rail twitch just a bit, then I knew the problem. So here is a tip:

I wanted to replace the old slide on style of scope holder on my R 10/22 with a modern rail, so bought this for $11 bucks

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Remove the old rail and note the attachment holes

Place a screw in an INSIDE hole and visually line up, then screw down finger tight, then back off about ¾ turn, then place the next inside screw in the hole and repeat. The go to the outside holes. Now tighten starting on the inside till its just figher tight, then starting on the inside again firm up some about ¼ turn and repeat inside to outside until all screws are a firm tight. You might want to consider a thread locker if you are running a bigger heavier scope or you expect it to see heavy duty shooting. Use Blue thread locker for al but the most extreme shooting.

What my buddy had down was probably tighten down each screw as he inserted it and started on the outside and worked in, this put the rail in a slight bind making the scope difficult to adjust and not move properly and causing it to be shifted from the bullet strike point.

Mount your scope

Finished gun

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 2 months ago #34457

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!