Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

MOA vs MRAD / FFP vs SFP

• Thank you received: 0

MOA vs MRAD / FFP vs SFP was created by TrueBuckeye0527

I need some advice from some experts. I’m going to ask the two questions about scopes that probably get asked more than any other. I understand that ultimately it is personal preference, but input from experience is what I need.

I have a Sig 716 and I'm looking for the right Optics. I will use this weapon for multiple things, but probably won’t need anything that'll get me out past 500yds. I am leaning towards the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X44. It'll get everything done I need to get done. My main question is MOA or MRAD and FFP or SFP?

I understand the difference between MOA and MRAD; I'm just not sure if there is an advantage one way or the other. Also, the same question for FFP vs SFP!

Hopefully some experienced shooters out there can help me out! Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by TrueBuckeye0527. Reason: edit topic icon
10 years 2 months ago #34757

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic MOA vs MRAD / FFP vs SFP

FFP vs SFP, why would you want a scope that is accurate in only one power setting. I hunt and shoot the occasional match so for me the FFP is a must. MOA vs MRAD for me again its based on how and what I shoot, you should base your selection on what your shooting , if anyone is calling your dope for you and what reticle you have. Obviously its useless to have a moa reticle when someone is calling your adjustments out in Mils. Try to build a system ( ie your computer matches your range finder which matches your scope which matches your partners spotting scope) rather than each individual component spec being different. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet
10 years 2 months ago #34778

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MOA vs MRAD / FFP vs SFP

Thank you that is good information.
10 years 2 months ago #34788

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic MOA vs MRAD / FFP vs SFP

I have met a few shooters-and they are very few-who prefer the 2nd focal plane scopes because the cross hairs stay fine and do not get any thicker as magnification increases. Apparently this is an issue to some folks...I've personally never had a problem with a 1st focal plane reticle becoming so large it covered my target...but, to each his own.

As for MOA/MRAD, it is a preference thing. I personally like MOA because the indexes are smaller and IMO that makes ranging more precise, but it can get very confusing to the eye as well. I got my MOA/MRAD education in the Army, where we were holding MILS on the reticle and dialing MOA on the turrets. The cross talk between shooter/spotter can get quite confusing there...I'd say pick one for both turrets and reticle as well and avoid the combo platter.
10 years 2 months ago #34868

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!