Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope base MOA elevations...my brain is fried.

• Thank you received: 23

Scope base MOA elevations...my brain is fried. was created by funfred

Looking into scope bases with built-in elevation and I can't see straight anymore.
Between wild variations in reported bullet drops and trying to figure mils/moa for an appropriate base, I'm about lost. I have no real experience dialing for distance nor do I know(for sure) the chosen ammo's bullet drops.

Using an Armalite SuperSASS with 20", 1-in-10 twist barrel, I intend to start with FGMM 168gr between 100-300yds up to 600, and eventually graduate to the 175gr for 600-1000yds.

On with the dilemna, I'm attempting to find the right base elevation so as not to have to buy another base.

The chosen scope (Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50) has 26mils of elevation adjustment and the bases of choice are Spuhr 6mil or 13 mil (roughly 20 and 40 moa) with 1.18" height (I'll have an 1/8" scope bell to rail clearance). Spuhr states that a base's elevation can be half of the scope's elevation range but then goes on to say 40+moa bases can create an oval-ing of the sight picture...am I correct in assuming this is due to the reticle being brought to the extremes of its range?

Anyway, the issue I'm trying to wrap my head around is twofold given the equipment choices...
- Will I be able to shoot 100 yds with the 13mil base w/o holding under?
- Will I be able to shoot 1000yds with the 6mil base w/o holding over?

It seems like straight forward math but I can't add 2 and 2 any more. Assuming the scope has an actual 26 mils (its sister scope also spec-ed at 26 mils measured 27.1), it seems I would be cutting it close with either base choice given the applications.

My gut tells me the 6 mil will be fine for 100-1000 but information overload has scrambled my over-riding neurons.

Hence, please help! :pray:
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by funfred.
9 years 5 months ago #42745

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope base MOA elevations...my brain is fried.

Fred the simple answer is yes the 6 mil base will be plenty. I am also using a 20MOA base.
9 years 5 months ago #42746

Replied by funfred on topic Scope base MOA elevations...my brain is fried.

Thanks. I got so caught up in details...

Called EuroOptics. They have everything in stock, except the mount. There was some friendly persuasion on the sales rep's part to consider ERA TEC mounts. Those can get me 2mm closer to the rail (1.1" height) but I lose out on the integral cant level and the massive, but compact, rings.

Part of Spuhr's appeal for me is their unique design.
I couldn't find any reviews on the ERAs and, as far as I'm concerned, they're little different than anybody else's quality mounts...none of which I've considered. :banghead:
9 years 5 months ago #42749

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Scope base MOA elevations...my brain is fried.

Sounds like you are gonna have one sweet rig when its done.
9 years 5 months ago #42750

I think so. It'll be some damn big boots to fill if I'm gonna live up to its potential.
9 years 5 months ago #42751

Fred - I put myself on a training schedule for last years shoot ( think it was Cowboys idea) dry fire three times a week, include all the positions strong and weak side. Then to the range for long sessions twice a week. Very few rounds expended. Keep track of all your shots and keep good notes. I took some time to see results but it took my shooting to a different level. Getting ready for something is/was a great motivator.
9 years 5 months ago #42770

I had always told myself I would be diligent about taking notes with my other firearms and I never did. My wife and I recently joined a range yet haven't made it a routine.

This AR will be a game-changer for me. Log book, range schedule, movement training, etc.
"A formidable firearm demands formidable skills." - I just made that up. :D
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by funfred.
9 years 5 months ago #42773

I like the way you think Fred. It really is a lot of work but fun at the same time. I suggest you pick up some steel targets at tractor supply (farm implement steel is a great target that provides instant feedback), The sickle bar teeth are great as are the brush hog blades. Get a steel saw horse at HD while your at it maybe some chain or conveyer belt and some bolts.
9 years 5 months ago #42774

Excellent idea!

I've bought the garbage steel targets at the usual outlets and they do not hold up. I won't spend big money on "real" steel targets.

One time, for one of our annual gun-togethers, I thought it would be cool to have a target tree...it cost $99. The first round out of my HBAR broke it! The box stated could handle it. :rolleyes:
It became cannon fodder...a fiddy round shattered the plates. :rotfl:
9 years 5 months ago #42777

There isn't much a fifty won't mess up. I watched some guys at the range the other day blasting away with one. I was counting in my head 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50 everytime they emptied the mag. Was impressive though, I would buy one if it was lighter or cheaper of both. Would love to have a barrett 1982A2. I have run a three gun course with one.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 5 months ago #42792

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!