Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Dang that Tangent Theta stuff is way up on the price scale! :blink:

www.eurooptic.com/tangent-theta.aspx

I'll look forward to your review.........
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43541

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

It will be some time. I would like to get into the extreme long range shooting. I am trying to do it on a budget but that is difficult to do. I will be buying a AR-50 NM this spring and then looking to top it off with a scope up to the task. For many reasons it will probably be the TT scope. I see it as the only way other than a SB to get to those kind of distances. There are a couple of others that will get there but are 1-2K more than the TT or SB.
9 years 4 months ago #43544

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

I definitely would not try an Osprey on a .50
The eye relief may be too short. :woohoo:
It depends on the rifle. I have shot one of the .50 that uses an AR lower, and even with the muzzle break, kicked like my granddads 10 ga. double shotgun.
But I shot a semi auto (Barret?) that seemed like I was shooting my DPMS LR.308
Here is optics planet's page on them if interested in features or prices.
www.opticsplanet.com/s/osprey-scopes?cat=21

I would rate them at 4 stars for a low end scope
They do not have the horizontal lines on the turret (micrometer like)
so once my scope was set at "0" I scribed a line under the knob to know how many turns to go back to "0"
I about used up the elevation ability to shoot at 700 yds, and plan on milling off material under the mounts to get the front lower to the bore on my .308
The one on my AR15 I zeroed at 50 yds., and at 100 was 1 in. high
@ 200 was at "0" and 400 I had to go up 9 clicks for my loads.
The .308 I discovered @ 700 yds., 3 mil dots would get me real close,and I could adjust a few cclicks from there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by mlotziii.
9 years 4 months ago #43545

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Libertarian;
Just in case you were not aware of this, especially for long range shooting ;
When mounting your scope on your .50 (or any other rifle)
It is essential to get that scopes crosshairs ABSOLUTELY vertical.
If you do not, you will always have to adjust the windage to compensate for cockeyed cross hairs.
On rifles with round receivers ,I use a home made wood gun vise the rifle clamps into , and I use a Starret brand machinists precision level on top of the scope mount bases.
I have 1/4 in allen cap screws on my gun vise base , L, and right sides, and adjust them till the level is PERFECT.
I have a vertical line drawn on the wall in my shop,laid out with a carpenter's level and after putting the scope in, line up the vertical cross hairs with the line on the wall, and check and re check it when tightening the mount screws.
On AR 10 & AR 15's I also check both sides of the receiver for level, with a machinists square, and the Starret level.
Several yrs. ago we were shooting at marmots across a valley, from mountain top to mountain, and were hitting them with the .50 @ 1000+
yds. The .50 bullets would knock them over, but just poked a hole through them, no expansion on a target that tiny.
When the wind would die down, I could hit them with my long range .300 Weatherby mag.
I built up a rifle with a 700 rem. long action, a XXX 27 in long .30 cal barrel, and made a home made muzzle break for it.
The main bar for the stock,is similar to an Ar50 AND MILLED OUT OF BILLET ALUMINUM!
IMO tHE 300 WEATHERBY Mag. (dang caps lock!) was the ultimate long range cartride, till the .338 Lapula came along.
The most accurate bullets I have used so far for my .308 ,.300, and .50 are solid copper, and turned on a CNC screw machine, but since my buddy retired, I could not afford to have them made.
9 years 4 months ago #43546

Silverman - Good points to remember. I use a water mark at 600 and a machinists level to ensure the scope is properly aligned. I learned that from some guys at one of the shoots this year. I will be using Amax 700 grain, trying to stay on a budget which is hard to do when you want to go to 3K. I think I can probably keep it under 8 thousand for the rifle/scope and another thousand for reloading supplies. We will see I don't intend on starting until June. I looked around at a lot of combinations the 338 Lapua and 300Norma are good out to 2000 and a little more but I think I am going to stick with the 50 due to the plentiful ammo and components. Also getting 3000+ rds from the barrels fits within my budget, if I didn't have a budget I would be looking at the Anzio 20-50 but that will come at double the price. I have been looking into the AR50 that is barreled for barrett 416 as a option. Anyway that's the direction I am going, only thing stopping me now is the budget.
9 years 4 months ago #43549

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

This is a very edgumacational thread.
Thank all of You for posting in Your findings and thoughts.
I am always on a budget, a very low budget when it comes to firearms and optics, I just do not have the money to spend for any frills.
I have a Cousin that lives fairly close to Miles City, He and I are real close.
One day I was over visiting Him, He comes out with this Shepard scope, I do`nt remember the model or for what rifle it will work on, but, it seemed that when I checked it out, it would work quite well on My AR10.
I know nothing about the Shepards, but, I will soon be finding out. :cowboy:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 4 months ago #43609

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Hey Marty, that sounds like a find. Cabela's reviewers rate them 4.2 out of 5. They have a no holdover aiming system that matches the scope to your caliber and bullet ballistic coefficient. Might want to check out their website. They are not cheap, but are supposed to be very well made. Look forward to how it works for you.
9 years 4 months ago #43610

Hey Marty good to hear from you. I remember the first time I saw a shepard was when I was a private in the army and I thought that was the slickest scope I had ever seen. That should work real good for you the Nikon M308 BDC technology is based off that same scope tech that the shepard broke ground on.
9 years 4 months ago #43611

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Thank You Sisco and 623.
I am having to install new intake manifold gaskets on My 93 K1500 GMC 350 V8.
I want to stay on that for now. When I get this done and running, I`ll get into the vault and get the numbers from that scope to see what caliber it is set up for.
For some reason, I was thinking it was for something other than the .308 cal, but, I also thought that it would work well for the .308.
Well see.
Laters.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 4 months ago #43620

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

On my Burris Eliminator scope, the program for the computer is the same for 308 175 grain Sierra Boat Tailed Hollow Points as it is for .223 75 grain Hornady Boat tailed Hollow points, they are that close in muzzle drop at 500 yards. Might be something like that.
I had to replace the intake manifolds on a 99 Ford F150 I had a few years ago. A pain in the neck, but it beats getting carbon , not to mention a fie hazard. They were both rusted through.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 4 months ago #43626

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!