Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Primary Arms 4x16 MilDot with ADM 20MOA Mount

• Thank you received: 556

Primary Arms 4x16 MilDot with ADM 20MOA Mount was created by jtallen83

I finally got around to mounting the Primary Arms 4x16 illuminated mil dot scope;
(www.primaryarms.com/urlrewrite.asp?404;h...t_Scope_p/pa416x.htm)
and ADM 20 MOA mount on my AR10;
www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/790/
Primary Arms had this combo listed on their ebay site as an already mounted pair for under $190. I've been wanting a good ADM mount and the 20 MOA fit what I had been thinking about so I grabbed the set.
I quickly realized that this set had never been used, must have been for a display. The screws were just finger tight on the rings and the crosshairs were far from level. In less than 10 minutes I had the crosshairs level, the provided thread locker applied, and the rings torqued down.

The finish on the scope looks good but the lens caps don't look like they will last long, very cheap in appearance. The glass is decent, not there with my Bushnell Elites but plenty good for the money. Adjustment clicks are a bit soft but easily felt if not heard. I still need to remove the screw and reset the turrets to zero so I can't say how that will go yet. I didn't take the time to do a real accurate tracking test but a quick box on the 12 inch targets I had showed it to be adequate. My accuracy suffers when using the horribly designed shooting positions at the local range so any complaints could relate to that.
The biggest issue I have with the scope is the small and sensitive eye box. Even with the parallax set correctly the slightest change of position moves the crosshairs an inch or better on the target. Neither of my Bushnell Elites even come close to this drastic movement, not sure how or why this is but it is. With more familiarity on the scope this should become less of an issue but at this point I don't see this scope deserving a spot on my ArmaLite.
Even with the difficulty I was having putting out decent groups I decided to give the ADM mount a re-zero test. I shot ten rounds, Fiocchi Exacta 175 gr match, taking the mount off and putting it back between each shot;

The first 5 stayed nice and tight but then I started getting spasms in my back from the awkward position so things widened out a bit. I'm pretty confident the mount will do its part if I can.
I'm thinking I'll sell the scope while it is shiny like new and the covers are in one piece then put that money towards another good quality scope for the mount.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by jtallen83.
8 years 10 months ago #45106

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Primary Arms 4x16 MilDot with ADM 20MOA Mount

Just tried to set the turrets back to zero.......not exactly. :censored:
The splines that the turrets fit on only line up with every other mark so I'm off by a hash mark on both elevation and windage...of course.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 10 months ago #45110

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Primary Arms 4x16 MilDot with ADM 20MOA Mount

sorry to hear the problems. Some people swear by primary arms. Havent heard many swear at them. Hoping Texas long shot comes back some day I would like to see how his optic company is developing.
8 years 10 months ago #45112

I really shouldn't complain for the money, the mount alone retails at almost $180 so the scope didn't cost me $20. It's a good deal for that but I feel obligated to let people know they are not going to get a top of the line scope with that model, might be they can live with the issues mentioned for a Sunday afternoon plinking scope. Both my Bushnell scopes are top line stuff so I'm a bit spoiled. I'm thinking a better stock than my A2 would somewhat mitigate the small eye box issue, that and a more comfortable shooting position.
I'm still sold on Primary Arms, great company to deal with and the best prices around on their brand name and many other top line AR parts, hard to find Geissele triggers any cheaper than the sales they run.
If Longshot shows up with something soon I'll most likely try it otherwise there's another Bushnell or two I'm lusting after;
bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite...-21x-50mm-horus-h-59
or maybe this one;
bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite...s-6-24x-50mm-mil-dot
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
8 years 10 months ago #45113

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Primary Arms 4x16 MilDot with ADM 20MOA Mount

Thanks for the review JT , good stuff.
8 years 10 months ago #45120

Just occurred to me that I should add a comment on the fitment of the scope-mount-rifle combo. I'm using a KAC two part drop in rail for AR-15's that I slightly modified to fit. The rail height is a bit lower than the receiver rail so without that extra this mount-scope combo would not fit. As you can see in the pics I had to remove a few of the LaRue rail clips to get it on the way it is.
I'd hate for someone to buy this combination thinking it would fit there same height rail set-up. I'm betting most scopes with a 44mm objective would be the same deal.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 10 months ago #45122

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!